+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using odd thickness cables.

I'm Craig.

Default Using odd thickness cables.

Asking for a friend, I have no idea what the answer is, but would there be any difference if, for instance, you used one run of 2.5 mm cable to one speaker, and 4 mm to the other.

I did ask sometime back if it’s advantageous to use the thickest cable available, and the well known around these parts expert said no
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Geoff.

I doubt anybody would hear any difference with odd cables........until you pointed it out, then they might insist they can detect it. Not that they are really likely to .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Craig.

Thanks Geoff!

He’s now thrown another question at me, ‘What about joining odd thicknesses together?

I personally said don’t do it, but I might be wrong.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Geoff.

Tell him to stop messing about and just order the necessary amount of Van Damme 2.5mm. It won't break the bank!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Craig.

Ha ha!
    I’m actually trying to flog him my Van Damme. 2.5mm hifi cable! ��

I was certain that I could hear an improvement when I got the 4mm version over the 2.5mm.
    Do you think it was the placebo effect/my imagination etc?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Craig.

Decided to invite him round to ‘listen’ to the cable, and at the same time satisfy my own curiosity.
    Tried all the variations, and can report there’s no discernible difference in using thicker cable on one side, both Van Damme Hifi, one run 2.5 mm, one 4 mm.

Also not a jot of difference when joining two lengths together.

Probably annoyed all the purists now!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    I was certain that I could hear an improvement when I got the 4mm version over the 2.5mm.
    Probably.

I'm Adrian.

Ha ha!
    I’m actually trying to flog him my Van Damme. 2.5mm hifi cable! ��

IMHO probably not a placebo affect. In my experience different cables to speakers make a difference, some working better than others, and will enhance or degrade different aspects of the sound, you don't say what was better with the 4mm version, but I suspect it might have been a better bass and low mids. I have tried at least 6 different speaker cables over the years in my systems, including heavy 35amp mains cable, and sone work well and others don't.\

The best way to see if there is a difference is to sit there blind fold and to do a double blind test. So someone else keeps switching the cables and you listen to several tracks that you know and just score each track out of 10 without knowing which one is which and then review it after.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Decided to invite him round to ‘listen’ to the cable, and at the same time satisfy my own curiosity.
    Tried all the variations, and can report there’s no discernible difference in using thicker cable on one side, both Van Damme Hifi, one run 2.5 mm, one 4 mm.

Also not a jot of difference when joining two lengths together.

Probably annoyed all the purists now!
    Hi,

Sorry this is probably my ignorance, but you say you have a Naim Mu So nothing else?

How did you use speaker cable?

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Hi,

Sorry this is probably my ignorance, but you say you have a Naim Mu So nothing else?

How did you use speaker cable?

Gary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast