+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Flooding woes and the P.O

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Gotta have the bombs mate.. We need them
    Were you being serious or what, daftee? Your emoj didn't work...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, in theory that sounds all very sensible and entirely logical, but what are you supposed to do when the sheer volume of water falling completely overwhelms the defences you've put up? In some cases recently,MONTHS of rainfall have fallen in ONE single day! Just what do you do to effectively protect yourself from that, especially when you're panicking and extremely worried about the potential consequences...?

And following the instructions in the information pack is all well and good, if you're able-bodied and alert enough, for example, to pile sandbags up on top of your front door, etc, and aren't elderly or disabled. Honestly mate, sometimes you don't think things through!

Marco.
    You missed out this from your quote 'Maybe that would not be sufficient to prevent being flooded out in some cases but to say they had no warning it would happen is not correct.'

As far as the pensioners and disabled are concerned people round here help each other out. Rather than expecting someone from 'the government' to do it and then getting all self-righteous when they don't. It's what we all did before there were governments.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Were you being serious or what, daftee? Your emoj didn't work...

Marco.
    Was joking yes.. No point in worrying about the ruskies and the Chinese. They can eat us without bombs.
    Of course, you know we only have them to defend against the French. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

The other thing is, successive governments have been cutting back more and more and spending less on dredging rivers, clearing drains and maintaining the infrastructure/defences that helps prevent floods, consequently the former are full of all sorts of crap, which at one time was emptied out, and so left somewhere for excessive rainfall to go!

Now, however, because our drains and rivers are so full of shite, there is nowhere for all that water/rainfall to go, which is why drains overflow and rivers burst their banks now so quickly!!

Again, yet another example of governments getting their priorities all wrong! And it's the same story now, year after year, with nothing ever done to fundamentally address the problem, and which is only going to get worse

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This isn't like a tidal wave or something, its a result of heavy rain over a week or more.
    Maybe the case in your neck of the woods but in terms of what happened last week across our part of the world that is simply not true - and I have the graph to prove it

The amount of rain that fell in less than 24 hours across Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire was unprecedented - as was the fury of the deluge. It was actually more akin to a 'tidal wave'
    As I mentioned earlier, our local river (the Witham) went from its usual level of about 50cm to well over 2 meters in no time flat (and I know because i was monitoring it quite closely)

It wasn't just the river that couldn't cope, drains along the main road that runs past our house were inundated and rapidly over-ran, turning the road into a river in its own right and flooding a small park lower down by a junction.

Luckily the city centre just escaped serious flooding. Unfortunately towns and cities like Rotherham, Doncaster and Matlock were less fortunate ... but to say the residents had plenty of warning to get their precious DVD players up stairs etc. is just blatant poppycock and flagrant denial of the facts.

And yes - it is the Government's duty and responsibility to take appropriate action when faced with such frequent and increasingly abnormal weather events such as this one.
    THAT'S WHAT WE PAY TAXES FOR !!!

I'm Grant.

Yes they have. It's bad for frogs etc.
    One of the big issues re many flood issues is so many people building in flood overspill areas that were never used for good reason.
    And building up river defences at these areas just pushes the problem further along river, that probably never used to flood
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You missed out this from your quote 'Maybe that would not be sufficient to prevent being flooded out in some cases but to say they had no warning it would happen is not correct.'

As far as the pensioners and disabled are concerned people round here help each other out. Rather than expecting someone from 'the government' to do it and then getting all self-righteous when they don't. It's what we all did before there were governments.
    As I said, there's hee-haw you can do, short of becoming Moses, when our drains and rivers are in the state that they're in, you've got MONTHS-worth of rain falling in ONE DAY, and you live in a flood zone!

And helping folk out is fine *if* you have people around you willing and able to do that, many don't and so have had to fend for themselves, or drown and die (as sadly some have), if they can't. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but in times like this the government has to step up and give proper support to our society's most vulnerable.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Maybe the case in your neck of the woods but in terms of what happened last week across our part of the world that is simply not true - and I have the graph to prove it

The amount of rain that fell in less than 24 hours across Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire was unprecedented - as was the fury of the deluge. It was actually more akin to a 'tidal wave'
    As I mentioned earlier, our local river (the Witham) went from its usual level of about 50cm to well over 2 meters in no time flat (and I know because i was monitoring it quite closely)

It wasn't just the river that couldn't cope, drains along the main road that runs past our house were inundated and rapidly over-ran, turning the road into a river in its own right and flooding a small park lower down by a junction.
    Exactly!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Many in this case had no warning.

In any case... I'd want to get my affairs in order firstly and foremost before I would even think about rescuing a dvd player.

Not because I'd be lazy but even if you had warning you would want to know what to do and you would be worried sick, especially if you have kids or know of someone elderly or disabled.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    I didn't think of what a mind boggling conundrum an approaching flood must be.

Ooh, my house is about to be flooded, what shall I do.....?

Try to minimise the impact it has on me by moving possessions upstairs?

Noooo, far too complicated

Seriously?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As I said, there's hee-haw you can do, short of becoming Moses, when our drains and rivers are in the state that they're in, you've got MONTHS-worth of rain falling in ONE DAY, and you live in a flood zone!

Marco.
    When was the last time you saw a 'sludge gulper' clearing out the roadside drains? Another contributing factor is the rooting out of gardens to form a hard standing for cars.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast