+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 510 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    .....................................as part of a balanced diet!
    I always feel wine is an essential part of a balanced diet.... I mean it's grapes
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I always feel wine is an essential part of a balanced diet.... I mean it's grapes
    It counts as one of your 'Five a Day' - two if you drink two bottles...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It counts as one of your 'Five a Day' - two if you drink two bottles...
    Not true, I'm afraid - it has to be different fruits. Now, a bottle of wine, and a bottle of gin would be ok as two - grapes in the wine, juniper berries in the gin - if you mix it with tonic even better for the medicinal effect - eat the slice of lemon after each glass, and that's three of your five!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dan.

They serve Purity ales at Moseley folk festival, so I have been supping plenty of those and hoping to forget that they cost 3.80 a pint

My favourite so far is Pure UBU

http://www.puritybrewing.com/pure-ubu.cfm

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi,

I have another voucher from LoveFilm for £40 off a crate of wine valued at £80 or more through Virgin Wines Discovery Club, new joiners only. PM me if interested.
    Simon.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    They look very nice Barry, but not a patch on what we were drinking last week in Greece:

12% ABV
    2.75 Euros for 1.5 litres!
    Do you get athelete's foot of the larynx in the morning? I must have tried half a doz different red last time we were over there all gave me sore throowert..Ended up being Raki & Ouzo all hols.. i did find salvation in a pack of very out of date German Pils larger i found luking in a shop fridge tho.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Haven’t posted here for a while. Not that I’ve stopped drinking, nor have I signed the ‘Pledge’ – I haven’t: I’m still happily consuming three to four bottles a week. However it does seem as if I’m the only one who posts regarding wine – maybe it’s of little or no interest to others?

Well what the Hell, here are some ‘slurps’ enjoyed recently.

Château Camail, 2006 Bordeaux

100% Merlot, 12.5% ABV

“Fruity, punchy and complex Bordeaux from a little-known family estate. Heavenly with lamb
    Perched on the high slopes running down to Bordeaux’s Gironde river lies Chateau Camail, is a picturesque, family-owned estate.”

“2006 was a vintage of extremes – a heatwave summer giving way to a damp harvesting period. There are some real gems in this vintage if you know where to find them, and Camail’s is one of the most beautifully poised and elegant examples.”

Thoroughly recommended. Approx £10 a bottle.

Château Labourdette, 2006 Bordeaux

(Image of the 2005 vintage)

A blend of Merlot and Cabernet, 12% ABV

“….plummy with a touch of pepper and spearmint.”

£10 a bottle

Château Mugron, 2007 Bordeaux

A south facing terroir, Mugron is a blend of 70% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc. 12.5% ABV

“Mugron has crafted a 2007 of incredible character and depth - a must-have for claret fans
    Château Mugron's beautiful wine is steeped in history, having been making wine since the French Revolution - and being the toast of the trenches! During the Great War, Mugron began supplying so-called "le quart de vin du poilu", ensuring French soldiers were not short of a ration to go with their meal!
    Nowadays the wine is a little more sophisticated. Its 40 year old vines impart great richness and complexity to the wine, which is vinified in a hi-tech winery by an exceptionally talented team. The result is a magnificently concentrated and complex, yet soft and approachable claret.”

I really enjoyed this wine. Approx £10 a bottle.

Château Colombier-Monpelou, 2005 Pauillac

Neighbouring Mouton Rothschild and Pontet-Canet, overlooking Pauillac 13% ABV

“The wines are full of deep red colour, with very good Cabernet Sauvignon character. Big, fat, lush red and black fruits dominate the aromas and flavours with a very nice firm but pleasant finish of fairly well integrated tannins. Has excellent balance and power. Although it is definitely a Pauillac for that Cabernet lover, any red wine aficionado should not miss this wine.”

Approx £20 a bottle

And finally:

Château La Gorce, 2004 Medoc

A blend of 60% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Petit Verdot. Winner of four Gold medals in 2006.

“Super smart claret buy from the perfect drinking 2004 vintage and a medal-winning estate
    Château La Gorce is a grand 19th century estate in Blaignan in the Médoc, just north of Saint-Estèphe and next door to the famous properties, Châteaux Loudenne and Cardorne.

The château was founded in 1821 by Madame La Gorce who gives the estate its name and came into the hands of the Fabre family only in the 1980s. The property had fallen into considerable disrepair in that time and the new owners set about restoring the quality expected of a true Cru Bourgeois. And with eight medals (including four Golds) in just four vintages, they're bang on track.

Mouthfilling ripe, concentrated blackcurrant, damson and plum fruit, framed in smooth, toasty oak.”

Delicious, £13 a bottle
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Some nice stuff there, Barry! Although you forgot to mention where you bought it from...

Haven’t posted here for a while. Not that I’ve stopped drinking, nor have I signed the ‘Pledge’ – I haven’t: I’m still happily consuming three to four bottles a week. However it does seem as if I’m the only one who posts regarding wine – maybe it’s of little or no interest to others?
    I don't think that's the case at all. Lots of people read this thread, and I'm sure, try the recommendations put forward, so keep up the good work!

In my case, it's simply the time and/or motivation needed to post pictures and write about what wine we've enjoyed. We do most of our drinking at the weekend, normally after a nice meal, and when that's finished, my inclination is usually to go for a wee sleep afterwards, or sprawl out listening to some tunes, than post here about what wine we've quaffed

And then after that, I usually forget all about it! I promise to discipline myself better in future

We're going to France in October, and so will be returning with a car full of wine and beer, and all sorts of goodies. I plan to select some truly top-notch claret and burgundy for Christmas (along with selected desert wines and aperitifs), so I guarantee that I'll be writing about that. Christmas will be better than ever this year, with my parents now living locally, as they are serious good food and wine lovers like us!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Ogio!

Folks

Tesco have on half price offer the Ogio Pinot Grigo. This is my favourite pinot grigo. Go on buy a few bottles (£4.99 until 4.10.11); summer's not over yet, well not quite!

I'm going to crack open a nicely chilled bottle to drink with tonight's meal: sushi to start, followed by a vegetarian dish of pasta with ratatouille.

Marco, regarding my last recommended 'slurps', I got them from Laithwaites but they can be obtained from a number of other vintners.

Last edited by Barry; 22-09-2011 at 16:42.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread