+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Thanks think I'll just start afresh and get one made when I've got a few £ss spare. Meanwhile I can use your old one for starters!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Well, any advice on the above greatly appreciated. Apart form that just scored a Project speed-box seII off the bay, was gonna try it on my Notts analogue deck, will it make much difference? Someone also said an external power supply is a worthwhile upgrade for the 401, but how does it work with speed change? Do you do it via the speedbox or Garrard, I'm guessing the Garrard, or may'be either!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm mark.

It won't work on the Garrard, they'll suck juice till it stops working. Rough guess but they need 20x the power delivery of the small AC motors used in lots of belt drive decks.

There's a DIY option on Lenco Heaven, the LDA one and the Classic Turntable version.

They alter the speed by varying the frequency, 50hz for 33, 60hz for 45, fine tuning for accurate speed. There are versions that also drop voltage to reduce vibration, but that also affects drive and PRAT.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    It won't work on the Garrard, they'll suck juice till it stops working. Rough guess but they need 20x the power delivery of the small AC motors used in lots of belt drive decks.

There's a DIY option on Lenco Heaven, the LDA one and the Classic Turntable version.

They alter the speed by varying the frequency, 50hz for 33, 60hz for 45, fine tuning for accurate speed. There are versions that also drop voltage to reduce vibration, but that also affects drive and PRAT.
    Of course, that makes perfect sense! May'be have to use the 401 standard then.

I'm mark.

The old trick with the Garrard's was to put a lightbulb in series on the power cable. It drops the voltage and does change the character of the deck. You need the old fashioned filament bulbs though.

I'm Graham.

Hi mike,
    Most of the Garrard spec PSUs output a standard 230v so you adjust the speed and brake on the 401 as normal. However once you find the correct brake setting, you shouldn't need to.adjust during or between sessions once bearing is upto speed.
    You may need to adjust the speed screw under the platter to a quicker setting as dropping to 230v means you need to increase the speed dial on the front panel. I increased the speed screw to max so it runs correct with brake dial virtually at 12 o'clock.
    This is using the long dog audio quartz power regenerator which is the best of 4 I have owned ��

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi mike,
    Most of the Garrard spec PSUs output a standard 230v so you adjust the speed and brake on the 401 as normal. However once you find the correct brake setting, you shouldn't need to.adjust during or between sessions once bearing is upto speed.
    You may need to adjust the speed screw under the platter to a quicker setting as dropping to 230v means you need to increase the speed dial on the front panel. I increased the speed screw to max so it runs correct with brake dial virtually at 12 o'clock.
    This is using the long dog audio quartz power regenerator which is the best of 4 I have owned ��
    CHeers, be a while till I can afford the LDA, just have to stick with standard Garrard, or as Mark above said, stick a light bulb in the power cable!

I'm Andrew.

I've been down the Garrard PSU route. My solution was quite expensive and can be easily bettered. Seek out a Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU and Tachometer Engineering, they are no- longer produced but do come up on eBay. You will have speed stability within 0.001 RPM. No need to bugger about with the Eddy break. My power regenerator solution was to use the PS Audio P10, all my components in my system have fully regenerated power, I could never understand why you would only have one custom made PSU for the deck and none for the other components. Correct voltage is supposed to improve speed stability and reduce vibrational interference. I messed around for months with a Nigel's Speed Controller (which I still own) on a Lenco and can "suggest" that correct voltage seems to impact speed stabilit although I can't comment on vibrational impact, these are subjects that you can forgot if you can find the Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU and Tachometer. Don't spend stupid money on a external PSU for the Garrard, it might be worthwhile commissioning Alan (Fire Bottle) to make you a Nigels Speed Controller, you can then control speed and voltage to your hearts contents and probably have a few hundred quid left over. You then have the problem of the Tachometer, but that's another post!!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've been down the Garrard PSU route. My solution was quite expensive and can be easily bettered. Seek out a Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU and Tachometer Engineering, they are no- longer produced but do come up on eBay. You will have speed stability within 0.001 RPM. No need to bugger about with the Eddy break. My power regenerator solution was to use the PS Audio P10, all my components in my system have fully regenerated power, I could never understand why you would only have one custom made PSU for the deck and none for the other components. Correct voltage is supposed to improve speed stability and reduce vibrational interference. I messed around for months with a Nigel's Speed Controller (which I still own) on a Lenco and can "suggest" that correct voltage seems to impact speed stabilit although I can't comment on vibrational impact, these are subjects that you can forgot if you can find the Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU and Tachometer. Don't spend stupid money on a external PSU for the Garrard, it might be worthwhile commissioning Alan (Fire Bottle) to make you a Nigels Speed Controller, you can then control speed and voltage to your hearts contents and probably have a few hundred quid left over. You then have the problem of the Tachometer, but that's another post!!!
    So a TT power supply is no different from a mains conditioner? The speed box has a tachometer btw, by that you mean led readout of speed?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    So a TT power supply is no different from a mains conditioner? The speed box has a tachometer btw, by that you mean led readout of speed?
    A TT power supply is just that it supplied power to the TT, some TT power supplies also have mains filtration in built or rarely the power to regenerate the incoming power supply. A mains conditioner is a unit which sits between the incoming power from your house plugs and the hifi units that you own. It does what it says on the can, it filters and conditions the incoming power from the national grid into a cleaner power supply which supposedly improves your hifi sonics. There is a difference between mains conditioners and regenerators. I use a regenerator (the PS Audio P10) to good effect. Some claim mains conditioners suck out the life in music, so be careful. The speed box will not work on the Garrard it dosen't have enough voltage for the Garrard motor.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast