+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - CD problem

I'm Geoff.

No wonder I was having problems when I tried one on my record deck.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dominic.

This is where accurate diagnosis saves time and effort.

If a player plays the majority of a disc without skips or jumps then the laser is working perfectly, so leave it alone.

If it baulks from track 10 onwards then it is the rails or sled that has contamination of some sort restricting movement. Take a cotton bud with a few drops of isopropyl alcohol and wipe the rails to remove any sticky residue, then a soft lint free cloth to clean the rails, paying particular attention where the sled body edges meet the rails as dust and fluff accumulates there. Finally just one drop of light oil on a cotton bud to lubricate the rails - no more than one drop otherwise dust will quickly stick and you are back to square one in a short time
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    This is where accurate diagnosis saves time and effort.

If a player plays the majority of a disc without skips or jumps then the laser is working perfectly, so leave it alone.

If it baulks from track 10 onwards then it is the rails or sled that has contamination of some sort restricting movement. Take a cotton bud with a few drops of isopropyl alcohol and wipe the rails to remove any sticky residue, then a soft lint free cloth to clean the rails, paying particular attention where the sled body edges meet the rails as dust and fluff accumulates there. Finally just one drop of light oil on a cotton bud to lubricate the rails - no more than one drop otherwise dust will quickly stick and you are back to square one in a short time
    Yes, I reckon that was the issue. Will give it a thorough going over. I really did think I was going to be left with a rather beautiful brick!

Having heard some of the newer players I am very impressed with this 30 year old Sony.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Yes, I reckon that was the issue. Will give it a thorough going over. I really did think I was going to be left with a rather beautiful brick!

Having heard some of the newer players I am very impressed with this 30 year old Sony.

Hope it all works out Adrian, hifi can be gut wrenching and drive us to despair sometimes, trust me i know. Let us know how it goes.

Btw - We have similar taste, as in a liking for great vintage gear ie: Both SP-10 MK2 and then Pioneer PD-91 cdp - me, Sony X777ES cdp - you
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Hope it all works out Adrian, hifi can be gut wrenching and drive us to despair sometimes, trust me i know. Let us know how it goes.

Btw - We have similar taste, as in a liking for great vintage gear ie: Both SP-10 MK2 and then Pioneer PD-91 cdp - me, Sony X777ES cdp - you
    Yes I have a thing for classic Japanese masterpieces, the sp10 is in my opinion still unrivaled as a disk spinner for all the right reasons. Likewise the Luxman AT3000 sits right up there with the creme de la creme. The Vida will I believe one day be a classic. The Sony embodies what I look for, superb craftsmanship and soul, something I value over hyper detail any day.

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Robert.

Yes I have a thing for classic Japanese masterpieces, the sp10 is in my opinion still unrivaled as a disk spinner for all the right reasons. Likewise the Luxman AT3000 sits right up there with the creme de la creme. The Vida will I believe one day be a classic. The Sony embodies what I look for, superb craftsmanship and soul, something I value over hyper detail any day.

Top man, and absolutely Adrian (You're a man of taste with some sweet kit, if I may say) and yes the Vida will be a classic as it was always special from birth so in my view already is one

Been listening to some fave cd's courtesy of my Pioneer PD-91 this evening, powered by Sansui AU a707DR and can only say, lovin' it big time !

Had the PD-91 sat on hifi rack looking pretty for a good few years plus and only lately have I given it a proper run out and listen Addiction to vinyl to blame for that.

Now when I'm finally in receipt of the Yannis tonearm cable I'm awaiting, is when the fun will really start, when I at last can start to evaluate my SP-10 which I'm in no doubt is gonna be a thriller !!
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Hope you've now sorted the problem Adrian... nice one ..

I've never owned anything "classic Japanese" unless the Pioneer A-400 amp qualifies... however I've always admired the well made Japanese stuff...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Top man, and absolutely Adrian (You're a man of taste with some sweet kit, if I may say) and yes the Vida will be a classic as it was always special from birth so in my view already is one

Been listening to some fave cd's courtesy of my Pioneer PD-91 this evening, powered by Sansui AU a707DR and can only say, lovin' it big time !

Had the PD-91 sat on hifi rack looking pretty for a good few years plus and only lately have I given it a proper run out and listen Addiction to vinyl to blame for that.

Now when I'm finally in receipt of the Yannis tonearm cable I'm awaiting, is when the fun will really start, when I at last can start to evaluate my SP-10 which I'm in no doubt is gonna be a thriller !!
    You won't be disappointed in the SP10. Can't tell you how much I miss mine.

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Holy crap I need help with this sony. I don't understand. The laser housing for some reason keeps jamming towards the end of a CD, so will always stop and go crazy. If I push it back to normal position (closest clamp) it will read TOC in less than 1 second and plays until track 13 (depends on previous track lengths) then f*ucks up. It is obviously meeting or causing resistance as it moves outward to the periphery of the disk.

I've oiled the guiderail and the ribbon cable doesn't impede anything... Could the servo be failing or a cap on the servo power supply. I really feel as though I'm cursed with HiFi at the moment and just want bloody music.
    Help!

Adey

Last edited by farflungstar; 17-01-2020 at 13:02.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Holy crap I need help with this sony. I don't understand. The laser housing for some reason keeps jamming towards the end of a CD, so will always stop and go crazy. If I push it back to normal position (closest clamp) it will read TOC in less than 1 second and plays until track 13 (depends on previous track lengths) then f*ucks up. It is obviously meeting or causing resistance as it moves outward to the periphery of the disk.

I've oiled the guiderail and the ribbon cable doesn't impede anything... Could the servo be failing or a cap on the servo power supply. I really feel as though I'm cursed with HiFi at the moment and just want bloody music.
    Help!

Adey

Hi Adrian

Not sure how Sony originally set up your model of Sony from CD/Laser sled point of view, but my experience with a Meridian 508 player may help to explain your issues.

The Meridian 506 and 508 both use a particular and very good Philips CD mechanism, this when built new was greased with a grease designed for plastics, the laser drive mechanism and worm wheel both being plastic. It is crucial that this mechanism moves freely so the laser can position and track accurately, if not the CD player will do all sorts of things and eventually not play at all and complain of no CD in the unit. All Meridian CD players eventually fail due to the same issue, the grease that Philips used goes hard over the years, and it can be so bad that the mechanism can get damaged, but not always. So the solution is very carefully clean it removing all old grease and then apply plastic grease that does not go hard, if this does not work then it is a new sled and laser I am afraid.

So it maybe that your CD mechanism is suffering from the same problem if Sony were guilty of using the same type of grease when it was made. I would carefully get to the sled determine if you can easily remove it from the unit so you can clean and re-grease, or if it has to be done in situ. I would check online to see if you can find any others who have had similar issues with this unit first, there is usually something out then, have you searched on Youtube for Sony CD player issues?

I hope that helps a bit.

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast