+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartridge suspension

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

My suspension has been sagging recently, those small blue pills seem to perk it up....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    My suspension has been sagging recently, those small blue pills seem to perk it up....

My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post

I tried that and it altered my VTA.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I bet
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    Sounds like you need to realign your tip!

At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm James.

Dropped the back of the arm a tad tonight and the 2M now sounds bang on!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Dropped the back of the arm a tad tonight and the 2M now sounds bang on!
    Yep, As you and I know only too well, tail down for the Shibatas sweetspot, all day long.

Coincidently, I've found the same with the Fritz Gyger S on my Cadenza now, tail down was awesome, just gotta get it back
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Yep, As you and I know only too well, tail down for the Shibatas sweetspot, all day long.

Coincidently, I've found the same with the Fritz Gyger S on my Cadenza now, tail down was awesome, just gotta get it back
    Hi Rob, did you fund the Fritz Gyger S better than the standard Cadenza Black stylus?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Rob, did you fund the Fritz Gyger S better than the standard Cadenza Black stylus?
    Absolutley Jimbo, no question.

The difference between the Cadenza with its original Shibata and then with the Frtiz Gyger S stylus profile tip is a bit more than subtle once you've had some time with it.

As good as the Shibata Cadenza is, the Gyger S takes things to the next level, digging out even more from the grooves.

Obviously then, very detailed like the Cadenza in standard form is but with the Gyger S even more recorded information is revealed which makes it very special and honest about what was recorded and I just love that.

Even more of what was laid down is exposed, textures, phrasings, timing, recording level in regard to the the way things are miked up, which my brother also noticed is apparent.

The woodiness of stick against the rim of the snare is much more tangible having a real woodiness to the sound.

To use that cliche again, you discover certain tracks / albums all over again, you thought you knew them having heard them tens and tens of times but you realise you didnt.

There is more contact area to the Gyger S tip profile, coupled with that it is very pointed apparently so not only does it trace loads of the grrove wall it gets deep into the groove too, hence all that info, not just detal coming through.

It's not a surprise to me that Ortofon use this Replicant type profile too on all their 'upper end' carts, beyond the Cadenza Black.

I'm not going to go on as sometimes you have to just leave things for those who can suss when something is really really good, without having to bang on about it.

I've took a lot of great punts over the years based on that gut instinct and sussing out from the info I've received that some things are a no-brainer.

With consideration of the thousands that the Replicant Ortofons cost aside (and out of the reach of most of us), I can only say that if you have a worn, Cadenza or similar Ortofon mc and like me take them as your cart of choice, then a Fritz Gyger S retip is a total no-brainer - the best £439 I could have ever spent in terms of a genuine upgrade over the original Shibata Cadenza Black - a bargain !

So to answer your question, the Fritz Gyger S tipped Candeza Black is definately better in the true sense of the word, than the excellent Shibata original - It is superb
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm James.

Thanks very much for your full appraisal of the Fritz Gyger S. It certainly sounds a good investment over the standard Shibata. Glad it has worked out for you Rob, your system must sound stunning now!

I have been messing all afternoon with VTA on the 2M Black. It is almost like using tone controls! Dial down the back a bit and you tame the top end and gain a fullness to the midrange information. Dial it back up and you get loads of detail but you loose body. Its all great fun and I love tinkering!

I have an interesting project coming up if I can get hold of a used 2M Black or bronze body but they are rarer than hens teeth!:roll eyes:

Cheers again for you reply.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12