+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Censorship of music reviews.

I'm Neil.

Default Censorship of music reviews.

This could have a broader scope than just music, but as this is about reviews of music I thought here was a good place to put it.

Yesterday I was made aware of a copyright claim made agaist a reviewer of mostly prog rock on You Tube, Darren Lock. Darren who is also a musician, and appears to be a published reviewer in other areas, was reviewing the current set of King Crimson vinyl box sets. The reviews were a mixed bag, some positive some not so. Darren had obtained the box sets with his own money and did not play any music. The reviews featured an unboxing and discussion of the box sets.

Yesterday DGM, via a representative filed 23 copyright claims against all of Darren Locks King Crimson reviews. This was done, according to Darren to shut him up, because DGM are not happy with his views. During a live chat about this, Darren also mentioned that the representative of DGM, has a personal grudge against Darren.

Now here is the thing, if a review is subjective opinion, is factual, contains no copyright material, or audio, has no defamatory of liablous material how can it be pulled by DGM, on what basis? Reviews need to be what they are, good, bad, or meh.

Frankly I am disgusted at DGM and King Crimsons actions. Censorship, using a You Tube TOU rule falsely to shut up a reviewer should not be allowed, particularly when they are not breaking copyright laws or any other laws. Shame on you DGM, shame

Darren earns a small living through his You Tube channel which helps him support his daughter who has special needs. This attack on his channel, has basicaly left him unable to run his channel, and according to ths now gone live stream - did he pull it, or another copyright strike, I don't know - he will probably have to close his channel.

I for one will never buy new again anything from DGM or KC again.

Darren Lock - https://www.youtube.com/user/vrooomuk/videos

What do forum members think?
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

If factual, and not libellous then I cannot see how an independent review can be pulled in this way or someone stopped from making their opinions heard, it sounds like someone stopping free speech. The only way that copyright might be infringed I suppose is that he was using KC material in terms of the box set images and material within to gain exposure to his site and reviews. I suspect that was why it was pulled.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    If factual, and not libellous then I cannot see how an independent review can be pulled in this way or someone stopped from making their opinions heard, it sounds like someone stopping free speech. The only way that copyright might be infringed I suppose is that he was using KC material in terms of the box set images and material within to gain exposure to his site and reviews. I suspect that was why it was pulled.
    Bar unboxing the product and discussing it no. He had no art work as a title piece. Can you claim copyright on an object in someones video?
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

i doubt it would stand up, as he took the pics. it might be he got a letter/email with threats and he decided it wasnt worth the fight
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i doubt it would stand up, as he took the pics. it might be he got a letter/email with threats and he decided it wasnt worth the fight
    Well its not very nice of DGM or the person that initiated it for them, but they have always been that way with KC stuff.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Well its not very nice of DGM or the person that initiated it for them, but they have always been that way with KC stuff.
    Its simply not on, to claim copyright on something that is actually Mr Locks Copyright property, his review videos. They are his intelectual property. DGM and Declan Colgan Music have no right to claim something that is not theirs to claim. Gagging and censorship should be fought. Regardles of whether Darren gets his channel back or not I will never give DGM, Declan Colgan Music any of my money ever again.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No pics were taken Grant, nothing was taken, reproduced or music played. Darren bought the King Crimson box sets and filmed a review, based on unboxing and sharing opinion about the products. How does that break DGM, or KC copyright? In my view it doesn't.

I do though have first hand experience as a reviewer of having an audio company threaten to sue me if I wrote one word about their products. I bought and paid for the samples myself. I did the review, listened to them and decided that not sharing my subjective views on the items actual did them more harm than writing about them. A fair and impartial review was lost to them, and they scored an own goal. Their loss, not mine.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

How do they stop folk on the likes of amazon reviewing
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Darren's you Tube channels have now closed. It would be interesting to hear from DGM's point of view,
    but if currently before the courts, that has to await their determination.

There looks to be more to this, than just a viewpoint expressed ( free expression ) about KC albums.
    https://www.youtube.com/about/polici...ity-guidelines

I'm Peter.

That just put an end to my interest in ever buying anything remotely related to King Crimson.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast