+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembrance day "Poppy Fascism"?

I'm Geoff.

Default Remembrance day "Poppy Fascism"?

David Starkey makes some points: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-ritual.html

Seeing this: https://www.itv.com/news/granada/201...-sunday-event/

Makes me wonder if he is right.

The miscreant showed a lack of respect it's true, but sixteen weeks inside for letting off fireworks? He'd have maybe just been fined if he'd done it elsewhere, if the police could be bothered in the first place.

I note, all the main TV channels suspended regular programmes and showed the two minutes silence at The Cenotaph this morning. Why? They've not all done that before. Is there some sort of climate of fear developing?

Are there situations where we are now compelled to 'show respect'?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This was the 100th aniversary of the first Remembrance Day; which might explain the extra coverage by all the TV and radio channels.

One could argue that it is through the efforts of those who fought in the two World Wars, that Starkey can enjoy the continuing maintenance of freedom of speech to express his opinions. His claim that some enlist because they like to kill is just abhorrent.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2019 at 21:36. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Well the 2 main ww's were 99%conscript so kinda blows that argument out of water.

Folk Complain about remembrance day for their own alterior motives and nothing else.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

There's a time and place for things, this showed a total disrespect for the situation. Doing it elsewhere is not relevant.

Perhaps we should revert to older times, people could show their disrespect for this individual with 24hrs in the "stocks".

I don't think there's a climate of fear, rather a feeling of nationalism not multiculturalism.

Feeling compelled, no, rather a gratitude for what was given for us that is natural no forced in any way.

Who would now volunteer to go to fight, leaving their loved one's behind to suffer the consequences of our current lawlessness.

Their is currently no respect for creed or age. We need a deterrent.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Dominic.

It would frighten the seven shades of shit out of living humanity if all the dead during these wars popped their heads out of their final resting place and shouted in unison "Thank you for remembering us all". From that point of view it is about as useless as flowers being placed at the roadside where a fatal accident took place. The dead cannot ever appreciate the sentiment intended.

The real message is for people that are still alive to step back and realise just how utterly horrific a real war is and not make the same stupid futile mistakes again. "It will be all over by christmas" has that ring of flawed logic this world does not need any more under any circumstances.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Deleted.

I don’t believe political threads have any place on a hi-fi forum and I think this thread should be deleted and the OP asked not to post similar again (via pm).
    Account Deleted

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Well the 2 main ww's were 99%conscript so kinda blows that argument out of water.

Folk Complain about remembrance day for their own alterior motives and nothing else.
    I don't agree with your proportions given that over 2.5 million British citizens volunteered early in WW1.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I don’t believe political threads have any place on a hi-fi forum and I think this thread should be deleted and the OP asked not to post similar again (via pm).
    Not sure anybody mentioned politics. An allusion to attitudes yes, politics? No, I don't think so.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Yup in first couple of years it was a sort of voluntary thing. Groups and pals brigades were all the rage, with a thought about it being over by Xmas for first year. Then pressure was brought a bit if u didn't by public etc.
    It became conscript in 1916.
    Ww2 was mostly conscript after dunkirk although folk did volunteer like my dad. You had a chance to pick your service early especially if u volunteered.
    He went qbroad in1940 and never got home til late 46 being forced to stay in n Africa guarding an instillation
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    David Starkey makes some points: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-ritual.html

Seeing this: https://www.itv.com/news/granada/201...-sunday-event/

Makes me wonder if he is right.

The miscreant showed a lack of respect it's true, but sixteen weeks inside for letting off fireworks? He'd have maybe just been fined if he'd done it elsewhere, if the police could be bothered in the first place.

I note, all the main TV channels suspended regular programmes and showed the two minutes silence at The Cenotaph this morning. Why? They've not all done that before. Is there some sort of climate of fear developing?

Are there situations where we are now compelled to 'show respect'?
    Other news channels are saying he pointed the fireworks at the crowd in which case the sentence is more than deserved.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast