+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Those were the days..pdf of old hifi ads - lskys etc.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Hurrumph ....
    I've collected three coupons off of the cereal packet instead - will that do?
    You'll probably need a few hundred Greenshield stamps too.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Just takes me back to where I was, when I pick up an old mag from the 60's 70's etc, reading through them, and seeing some of the stuff I actualy owned later on, just so much nostalgia, and of course some very good articles, and things to build etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    I too have a lot of early mags . The earliest being a radio times from 1922. There was very little being broadcast, just evenings. Surprisingly there are a lot of valve and component adverts. Some complete radios where terrace house money
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You'll probably need a few hundred Greenshield stamps too.
    When I was a kid I thought Greenshield stamps were dead posh .... like having a telly with ITV - or drinking PLJ

I'm Martin.

You used to get free glasses with your petrol anorl. Always smoked glass for some reason. With the dimples in the bottom.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    When I was a kid I thought Greenshield stamps were dead posh .... like having a telly with ITV - or drinking PLJ
    Like driving a Rover or Wolseley. None of yer Ford rubbish!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Like driving a Rover or Wolseley. None of yer Ford rubbish!
    Just after the war, Dad bought a brand new Wolseley 6/80, I remember it, Reg No. YMD 81, it rusted a bit.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Thanks for posting.

Brings back loads of memories. Used to visit Tottenham Court Road and Lyle Street in London to purchase components or ex military radios for home build stuff. So many different speaker drivers to choose from 😊

Also built Heathkit radios and test gear such as a grid dip oscillator. The transition from valves to transistors was quite a revelation.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by high.spirits View Post
    .. Used to visit Tottenham Court Road

Also built Heathkit radios and test gear such as a grid dip oscillator. The transition from valves to transistors was quite a revelation.
    I've a memory that places Heathkit more or less opposite Lasky's on Tott. Ct. Rd. I built their 12" speaker kit in the mid sixties which I bought from there.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I used to have a couple of metres worth of assorted audio mags: Hi Fi News; Hi Fi News & Record Review; Practical Hi Fi, Popular Hi Fi and Audio, Hi Fi Choice, Hi Fi Answers; Audiophile; Hi Fi Review; Stereo Sound; Stereophile (and a copy or two of The Flat Response ). A few of them have been kept, but with most I tore out the arlicles that were of interest to me and threw out the remainder.

Copies of the manuals and manufacturer's brochures have been placed in The Knowledge for reference.

Nowadays, with an average price of £6, I rarely buy the mags - I'm tired of reading about £5K preamps, £20K powe ramps, £25K speakers and £5K cartridges; let alone £1K cables.
    That resonates a lot with me. Its really irritating to find that over 50% (say) of the average mag is addressing this stuff when a tiny % of the hifi crowd can afford it plus probably can't appreciate it.
    Most of us spend massively less and are looking for best value/improvements per buck. Rant over

I'm Neil.

i used to visit Tott Ct Rd every saturday when i was a student in London - as well as Laskys there were numerous other smaller hifi/electronics shops on TCR to nose around in. In those days according to the salemen it was all about the watts, knobs and slider controls (equalisers), VU meters and lights. There were huge RtR tape recorders, mega size japanese amps and receivers. Lots of big brands, - Wharfedale, Rotel, Tannoy, Celestion, Leak, Garrard, BSR, Thorens, JBL, Yamaha, Pioneer, Trio/Kenwood, Akai and then the cheaper "Audiotronics" stuff. Speakers came in teak or white (!) and there were devices to allow the salesmen to instantly switch between different sets of speakers. Everything was solid state. The atmosphere was kinda like Currys/PC World is today - racks of kit all blaring away at the same time at high volume. Life was simple...... beer was 28p a pint - shit beer mind you before the revival of real ale.

Fiannly managed to save up for my Rotel 611 amp (complete with slide controls) and Pioneer PL12D T/T and Sennheiser HD414 headphones which i bought from a hifi shep in Wembley and hauled them back by tube to my digs in Woodford because it saved me about £3 in total compared to TCR. I couldn't afford any speakers (my friends had Ditton Counties I think. Few years later picked up a pair of s/h Ditton 44s which I sold to a man in eastern Europe a couple of years ago. Hey ho...
    Neil.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234