+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphason HR100 S- cartridge help please

Default Alphason HR100 S- cartridge help please

Hello all,

This is my first post here, and hopefully the first of many. I came across this site while researching the Denon DL103R in its various forms, and there seems to be great info here.

What I am hoping to hear is that a DL103R is a good match for the tonearm I just purchased? The arm will be placed on a Technics SP10 MKII in a slate plinth.
    I have been wanting to try this cartridge for years now, but as its unsuited to my current modded Rega RB300, I am yet to get there.
    And I would love to try either the 103PRO or the ZU DL103 or any other recommended variant apart from the standard 103R.
    But I am struggling to find stockists of the DL103PRO.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself here, I think the arm and cart are a good match, but need some feedback before I go ahead.

Chris

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Chris, welcome. Can't help you on your arm/cartiridge question, I'm afraid, but hi anyway. Someone will be along soon who knows, I'm sure!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No No! The Alphason arm is rubbish and you really need to sell it to me for scrap value - £50 should cover it........

Seriously, as long as the bearings are good and the cueing device still works properly (both easily sorted with the arm off the deck), then you can stick anything you like into this arm and it should work ok. Even Decca's sound stunning in this arm (and they don't take prisoners of "conventional" arm-wisdom).

Others may challenge this statement, but the arm and turntable can do so much better than a Denon 103 "anything....." IMO. I'd be looking at an AT33PTG at the very least, or one of the ZYX models (R100) which very much impressed me last I heard a decent turntable. I'm out of date now on current "mid priced" moving coil cartridges and old favourites of mine, such as the Dynavector 17D series is a bit passe now it seems, all the "in" crowd going for EsCo rebuilt Troika's instead

of the 103's you mention, I have a leaning towards the ZU version, although that wooden conversion on another thread here could well be the answer in both mass and vibration-absorption - the compliance should be fine, although a little more mass in the shell may be an advantage.

Oh yeah, forgive my manners - Welcome indeed
    Last edited by DSJR; 29-08-2009 at 22:15.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by soundfanz View Post
    What I am hoping to hear is that a DL103R is a good match for the tonearm I just purchased?
    No it won't!... no cartridge will. You should send the arm to me for safe disposal ASAP!

Well, maybe not. Marco is the bloke to answer that one, but he usually recommends something akin to the forth road bridge for all things 103 related.

I do know an AT-OC9 MLII sounds brilliant in one though!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    No No! The Alphason arm is rubbish and you really need to sell it to me for scrap value - £50 should cover it........
    Bugger off, Dave. I'll fight you for it!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neil.

Hi Chris

Over my still lifeless corpse, springs to mind in regard to the Alphason HR100S. Its one of the best of the older arms and sadly points back to a company who once made fantastic analogue audio, arms, TT and good speakers too. Now all they make are crap av tables and the like. How the mighty have fallen.

Good find...don't sell it.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

This must be a very nice sounding arm! I don't see them come up very often on ebay.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by speakers-1989 View Post
    This must be a very nice sounding arm! I don't see them come up very often on ebay.

Fantastic indeed, as was the turntable it was designed for The Alphason Sonata.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-08-2009 at 22:42.
    Regards Neil

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

And the other cartridge suggestions are very handy too, I am not committed to the Denon, but would love to try one sometime and at this stage am leaning that way.

As for the Aphason arm, there is one listed on aust ebay at the moment, and am sure he could be convinced to ship it overseas. Its $800 aust BIN which seems to be a decent price.
    Here is the link ( hope I am allowed to do this?)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Chris
    Last edited by soundfanz; 29-08-2009 at 23:01.

That arm looks suspiciously similar to one in my spare tonearms box. Are they worth £50? .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast