+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 496 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone keen on watches?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Nice looking timepiece Lawrence.
    Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    That's rather nice.
    Thanks I wonder if the Chinese are going to do to watches what they have done to hifi. Ie not take over but sit alongside the traditional names with well made high value items.

http://www.eastwatchreview.com/blog/...ossini-watches

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Lovely collection of Invictas Roy, now I own one I can see the attraction, quality at a very reasonable price.
    Thanks Malcolm. The Pro Divers are even more affordable & have the same movements but a lot of them are so obviously 'homages' (not that that's always a bad thing).

I'm sorted.

Like this one for £20

I'm sorted.

A favourite Seiko (bought from Macy’s in New York)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Parade officially pissed on lol, I have seen the error of my ways after your wise words gentlemen and shall sell my entire collection except for the crappy 20 quid casio that does all you need.
    No Im not trying to rain on your parade. I have a valid opinion which keeps things in check. I like some of the watches pictured and good for you if you like something hand crafted by angels

I have a nice looking Skagen but the point is its only £100 compared with some of the bling here. Slim titanium and good looking...the only thing I dont like about it is the lever back which even with the correct tools can leave marks.

Im not saying you have to rely on a cheap looking watch. I am saying you can get a nice looking analogue watch for a low price. If anybody asks me the time they dont want it to the second. They are happy if I tell them within five minutes or so.

Point is they are not crappy. I had a casio radio controlled watch..analogue face with a digital functions integrated with the back panel...did everything a Rolex did and more.. second accurate to the last time it took a reading which was a couple of times a day. I would still have it if casio hadnt messed up the internal design so even the watch shop didnt know how to change the battery...aerials were falling out and all sorts so you may have a case for your lifelong watch.

Its not the end of the world at that price. I chop and change and dont mind if they get a bit damaged

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

I have a nice looking Skagen but the point is its only £100 compared with some of the bling here. Slim titanium and good looking...the only thing I dont like about it is the lever back which even with the correct tools can leave marks.

Point is they are not crappy. I had a casio radio controlled watch..analogue face with a digital functions integrated with the back panel...did everything a Rolex did and more.. second accurate to the last time it took a reading which was a couple of times a day. I would still have it if casio hadnt messed up the internal design so even the watch shop didnt know how to change the battery...aerials were falling out and all sorts so you may have a case for your lifelong watch.
    All my Grand Divers were around the ton mark (+/- a tenner).

There's the old joke about the watch that comes with a lifelong guarantee - when it breaks the mainspring slashes your wrist..

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. I have two watches: a 48 year old Rolex Oyster worn everyday and which keeps time correct to 15 seconds a year; and a gold square-cased Bulova Acutron with a black leather strap worn with a dinner jacket when the occasion arises.

Whilst I admire the aesthetics of vintage watches and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into their making, I can't really see the point in collecting them: you can only wear one at a time and they all need to be wound up regularly for them to keep good time. I certainly don't need any stopwatch or tachymeter facilities.
    A Rolex That is accurate to within 15 seconds a year?
    I’ve had many Rolex’s over the past 30 years and not a single one has been that accurate!

Please don’t think I’m being a prat, but are you sure it’s not 15 minutes a year? that’s nearer the norm.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Craig.

I’ve been hanging my nose over the Bulova Lunar watch for a few weeks, if you didn’t already know it was the ‘other’ watch worn on the moon, but after a bit of deliberation, and the advice of a former Goldsmiths manager decided against it.

However, having scratched the bracelet albeit ever so slightly recently, I decided that I wanted, no, needed a watch that I wouldn’t mind getting scratched, and scraped against rocks and things since I moved to the coast.

I decided to go with another model in the Bulova range, after all, when you know what makes a watch tick, you’ll buy a Bulova!
    Sorry, had a Radio Caroline sponsors Moment then!
    Anyway, joking aside I bought one of their Sea King range, Chronograph, waterproof to 300 metres, and despite being quartz, and just about the most accurate watch going, it has a lovely sweep second hand which makes it look mechanical/automatic, thanks to its triple prong tuning fork action.

The wife said she’d only give it a week before it was consigned to the ‘I don’t wear these anymore’ drawer, but she’s wrong, I’m loving it! And it was a fraction of the cost of my other watches!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    A Rolex That is accurate to within 15 seconds a year?
    I’ve had many Rolex’s over the past 30 years and not a single one has been that accurate!

Please don’t think I’m being a prat, but are you sure it’s not 15 minutes a year? that’s nearer the norm.
    Well I wouldn't put my life on it, but it certainly keeps time to within a minute a year. I have the watch serviced every five years and wind it up at the same time each day. It has been on my wrist virtually constantly for the last 48 years (apart from the time it is away being serviced); I even wear it in bed, so it is at a near constant temperature.

Maybe I'm lucky, or it's a fluke. I should add that time keeping to a minute a month is more than accurate enough for me.
    Barry

I'm Craig.

Default Anyone keen on watches?

Which brings up another question, I was under the impression that all Rolex watches are automatic, so why would it need winding on a daily basis?

For my own interest as well, I just Googled how well Rolex watches keep time, my Explorer gains a bit just like the rest of them, but we are told losing or gaining 5 seconds a day is way within chronometer guidelines, at that it may gain or lose 35 seconds a week, 2’ 20” per 4 weeks, and around 30 minutes or so over a year.
    So if yours does keep to the time you mentioned, you are indeed a very lucky person!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread