+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Ascot HiFi Show

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Yes, he was explaining at greeeeat length the process of how he tracked down the absoloute correct Rivets for the face plates on the 'new' Garrard 301..
    all very ..... errrrr.. Riveting!!!

These things are extremely important don't you know..
    I wonder if that was a grand of the stupidly inflated price they are selling it for?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I wonder if that was a grand of the stupidly inflated price they are selling it for?
    How much are SME asking for the new 301? If it's anything like the unreasonable price hike of an SME V arm, it will be silly money.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How much are SME asking for the new 301? If it's anything like the unreasonable price hike of an SME V arm, it will be silly money.
    Something over ten grand https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/...high-end-2019/

I'm Shane.

Bah! I'll stick with my Crosley.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'll stick with my Thorens 124/IIs.
    Barry

I'm Edward.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Seriously? £18k pounds? Who on earth is going to pay that for one!

I'm Lawrence.

The article suggests $12,500

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

Well that's not so bad then - should leave enough money for a new Russ Andrews noise cancelling woolly hat
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

Nope!
    I had a very long chat about the SME / Garrad 301 with the chap who's project it was to get it up and running.
    It's actually £18,800...

I was trying too ascertain where the dough is in the TT.

Basically, it's a Stock oil bearing 301, No bearing change, No platter change, No power Supply.

So they have taken a stock 301, stripped it, polished it, sourced the correct paint (apparently has lots to do with the sound stripped the linkage, recoated in less harmful stuff, new face plates held in place by the very very correct rivets which were very very hard to source, eventually they manufactured their own as all others were inferior (!!) .

They have also recut the platter strobe markings on the platter.
    They spent an age recreating the exact Garrad mat with the correct rubber compound which he said is also absolutely sound critical... So thats the 301.

The plinth: a 3 way isolation solid Walnut plinth, made by Spendor. (based on the Loricraft approach)
    The 3 isolation ways seem to be the feet, the metal arm pod within the plinth
    (no options other than an SME cut, although he did say it was a straight drop in for other 3rd party pods)
    and the inner top board which has some kind of isolation material (air-filled decouplers) between the main frame... Is that a posh name for a snazzy tweaked Squash ball...?!

The arm, is the stock SME current production SME M2-12R (very nice arm btw)

There are no deviations from this combo, no 2 arm options etc.

Yours for just £18,800 guv! 4 month wait, guv.

Last edited by WESTLOWER; 01-11-2019 at 10:32.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast