+ Reply to Thread
Page 495 of 540 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Watched Murray/Williams in the mixed doubles a couple of days ago, for some reason they had to touch hands after every point, win or lose. I now notice every team seems to do this, WTF is this all about?
    I’m not sure when it happened, but at some point as I was growing up, Pro Basketball players suddenly started to, “High Five”. I grew up with what is now known as the low five, if someone said, “Give me five”, we held out our hand as waist height. But for some reason I detest a high five! At work years ago, I fixed a major system computer and my boss throwed his arm up signaling me to high five. I gave him the look, and declined. So he made me do it, so I wouldn’t, “leave him hanging”, as it were. Honestly, I do not get this endless need of young folk to high five? Maybe I’m the strange one?

Russell

I'm David.

No you're not Russell.

I'm Martin.

These £1 houses and the programme on them are boiling my piss.

So they are giving them away but they need a £25000 revamp minimum (+++in reality) I know these areas for I have lived in one or two briefly. The kids roam the streets burning out all the empty houses and robbing boilers from the occupied ones. You are more than likely to get your car smashed up every other week. You dont feel safe and I wouldnt buy a mini palace if it was located there.

Where are they getting the revamp money from and do they really think they are getting a bargain? How will they ever sell again? Plus you would never settle with people renovating either side which could take years

What do these people think they are getting? Its an extremely socially deprived area and none of the issues have been sorted or ever will be at this rate

I knew the sort of people it would attract and they are being DUPED in my view. Their intentions are extremely naive in most cases

The biggy is that is absolves the council from doing the REAL WORK of rebuilding the area and promoting values. A few people doing up rickety old terraces is just a red rag to the problem tennants and deep issues of poverty in Britain

Rant over!
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 22-07-2019 at 20:00.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    These £1 houses and the programme on them are boiling my piss.

So they are giving them away but they need a £25000 revamp minimum (+++in reality) I know these areas for I have lived in one or two briefly. The kids roam the streets burning out all the empty houses and robbing boilers from the occupied ones. You are more than likely to get your car smashed up every other week. You dont feel safe and I wouldnt buy a mini palace if it was located there.

Where are they getting the revamp money from and do they really think they are getting a bargain? How will they ever sell again? Plus you would never settle with people renovating either side which could take years

What do these people think they are getting? Its an extremely socially deprived area and none of the issues have been sorted or ever will be at this rate

I knew the sort of people it would attract and they are being DUPED in my view. Their intentions are extremely naive in most cases

The biggy is that is absolves the council from doing the REAL WORK of rebuilding the area and promoting values. A few people doing up rickety old terraces is just a red rag to the problem tennants and deep issues of poverty in Britain

Rant over!
    They did some similar projects in the Richmond area. These areas were nearly vacant, and while a few were bought by individuals, most were bought up by the block by developers. Now, it’s a high class neighborhood, and street punks can’t afford to live within 10 miles of the place. But they were ultra slums back in the 1980’s and 90’s.

But downtown, the city sunk a large sum into trying to create some upscale shopping, and sunk tax payer money into land the city council owned. It was a huge flop. No one wants to shop where you’re likely to get mugged, anchor stores wouldn’t come, so it wound up a flea market for homeless people to get indoors.

While out on the edge of town, there was a shopping mall that was very successful! Many great stores, and I’m sure it generated a staggering amount of taxes for the city! So, they built a low income housing project right up behind it! A huge increase in crime in the parking lot, and even in the mall. Wound up closing the mall down. They bulldozed it flat.

Russell

I'm Steve.

Don't know why I ever watch Channel 5, it always makes me want to throw something at the telly.

Anyway, last night I saw a programme called "Slum Landlords, Nightmare Tenants". I've seen it before, and it's always the same story: Tenant hasn't paid rent for months, owes thousands, after a long struggle and many threats from tenant, landlords finally get their property back and it's completely trashed. Everything breakable broken, dog shit everywhere and all the rubbish piled up in rooms because they're too idle to use the bin outside.

AFAIK, these tenants (invariably on benefits) get their rent money paid to them, and they choose to piss the money away. Why isn't the money paid directly to the landlords? And why are the identities of these scumbags protected? There should be a database of bad tenants which prospective landlords can consult before handing over their keys.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

A loaded gun will not set you free and until people finally understand that statement, mass shootings in America will continue on and on.

Calls for a debate start yet again and nothing gets done about it. Im almost past caring now. Im not naive enough to think Human beings are particularly sociable but being able to easily buy guns is pure insanity FFS.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 06-08-2019 at 09:41.
    " Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

I'm Geoff.

A loaded gun will not set you free and until people finally understand that statement, mass shootings in America will continue on an on.

Calls for a debate start yet again and nothing gets done about it. Im almost past caring now. Im not naive enough to think Human beings are particularly sociable but being able to easily buy guns is pure insanity FFS.
    Unfortunately, there are so many guns in circulation in America that any nut or robber is likely to have one.

Until that changes, I can understand folk wanting one for protection.

I'd certainly carry one where it was legal if I lived there.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

it will never change because there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle.

Given it's a country of 320 million people and there are an estimated 340 million firearms it's really a wonder that these massacres don't happen more often than they do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Surely you can start walking in the right direction though by recalling assault weapons and reduce it to smaller weapons with limited clips for close protection. Far from ideal but a start.

To be open( or concealed) carrying for a trip to the diner is just crazy. If you live by the gun you will die by it. If someone is determined to take something from you they will with a bigger weapon and more surprise. If someone breaks in with an M16 you had better be ready for the mother of all firefights...a pistol aint going to cut it.

The point Im making there is that is a runaway market that leads to people buying ever more crazy weapons

Every ****er seems to be a "hunter" over there...what are thay all eating...Bear? It is actually a wonder there arent mass shootings every day.

As I said before a loaded gun doesnt set you free.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 06-08-2019 at 12:04.
    " Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

I'm Geoff.

If someone breaks in with an M16 you had better be ready for the mother of all firefights...a pistol aint going to cut it.
    A burglar won't be carrying an M16, he'll want to be able to carry what he steals. Chances are he's stealing 'cos he's broke and maybe a junkie too, so any gun he carries is likely to be a rusty old clunker of a pistol he stole or bought for peanuts, that may or may not work and will probably only have a couple of rounds in, if any.

In that situation, I think my having a nice, loaded, 9mm PPK within reach would be reassuring and certainly provide an edge.

Last edited by walpurgis; 06-08-2019 at 14:17.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread