+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks a lot like the Fisher 'Studio Sound' gear from around the same era. They often had a five band eq on them. I wonder if there was ever a connection?
    Some Akai gear from about then was made by Mitsubishi I believe, maybe Fisher sourced amps from there too.

I'm Martin.

When you see all the same switches, symbols, and so forth, and same case size, It would make sense. Very incestuous the 1980s Japanese hi-fi industry.

Mitsubishi better known for this of course (or they were).

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I've always wondered who made the lovely Harman Kardon amps and receivers from the seventies. They were marked 'made in japan'. Same applies to Marantz. Despite both brands being American.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've always wondered who made the lovely Harman Kardon amps and receivers from the seventies. They were marked 'made in japan'. Same applies to Marantz. Despite both brands being American.
    One of the only “bad” systems I’ve ever heard was an 80’s Harman Kardon solid state system. The whole rig was Harman, speaker’s and all. I find that even good companies skimp on these all included systems, I had a Sansui system all matching that was awful.

But it may have just been set up poorly? Or the owner was cranking the knobs wrong? It was so shrill I couldn’t stand more than one or two songs before I had to leave the house! I invited the gentleman over to hear my Adcom/Vandersteen setup of that day, and he flatly refused, and said he already has the best why would he want to hear mine? Last time I ever see him. The urge to tell him it was a steaming pile was strong! But I refrained and took my leave. If he believes his $600 system is the best in the world, who am I to Pop his bubble?

But of course you’re talking about the 70’s! And yes, there was some very good stereo coming from Japan in the day. In the days before integrated circuits.

Russell

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    One of the only “bad” systems I’ve ever heard was an 80’s Harman Kardon solid state system. The whole rig was Harman, speaker’s and all. I find that even good companies skimp on these all included systems, I had a Sansui system all matching that was awful.
    By that time Harman Kardon had been sold to a stictly profit motivated conglomerate and the previous high standards had gone out the window. I had referred to their nice seventies gear, the later stuff was poor until the company was re-integrated, but I don't think it ever quite recovered.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    By that time Harman Kardon had been sold to a stictly profit motivated conglomerate and the previous high standards had gone out the window. I had referred to their nice seventies gear, the later stuff was poor until the company was re-integrated, but I don't think it ever quite recovered.
    I had chance to hear a tubed Harman Kardon amp very briefly once. It was most impressive and fluid in the midrange. But it may have been from the late 60’s? This was in the 70’s and it appeared well used then.

Russell

I'm Dan.

If you need to let something go i maybe interested in the Pioneer PL12...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    If you need to let something go i maybe interested in the Pioneer PL12...
    That's staying mate .

I'm Geoff.

Something has to go. I now have at least ten sets of amplification, but what do I part with? I can only use one at a time, but I like them all. Dilemma!!

I'm Geoff.

Been pondering. I think this may be on the cards:

And may hopefully end up looking something like this. Except I have gloss piano lacquer finish in mind.

Got to flog a couple of bits (large ones) first, to make room.

I have the drivers. High time I made use of them!

I have matching tweeters too.

+ Reply to Thread