+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tone arm advice

I'm gerald.

Default Tone arm advice

I have the chance of a Origan Live silver 1 tone arm with a Mitchell vta adjuster. I know the Rega arms have trouble with the lift arm so I am wondering if the orgin arm will have the same trouble ?

I'm gerald.

Reply from my wanted add
    ¬Have you actually bought the Rega arm Gerry? I tried Regas on a Techie and found the ergonomics poor, as the arm sits too low and you find yourself scrabbling for the armlifter lever, which ends up laying nearly flat against the deck. ¬

so wondering if the Orgin Live arm will have the same problem ?

I'm Geoff.

Why end that with a "FFS"?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gerald.

Why end that with a "FFS"?
    Sorry what am i missing

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    Sorry what am i missing
    Don't worry Gerry.

I suspect the situation with the Origin Live arm will be similar to that with the Rega.

It will work, but is likely to be awkward and you can't raise the arm to compensate for this.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Frank.

If you were dead set on the Origin Live arm, you could get someone to make a small threaded bush for the arm lift lever shaft, which would allow you to position the lever at any point you wanted. The lever would be unscrewed from it's normal position, fitted into the threaded bush and the bush positioned on the shaft, for best position, and locked in place. There's machinists on eBay that would do it and I cannot see it costing a huge amount.

Last edited by Columbo; 20-11-2019 at 07:04.

I'm Geoff.

As an aside, after using two lightly upgraded Rega arms on my Techie SL-1210 and not being too happy with the results, I employed an SME type mount and installed my trusty old Mission 774 tonearm (original version). The improvement in sound quality was dramatic. Both the Regas and 774 were used with Denon and ZYX low output MC carts, so the comparison was a fair one.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    I have the chance of a Origan Live silver 1 tone arm with a Mitchell vta adjuster. I know the Rega arms have trouble with the lift arm so I am wondering if the orgin arm will have the same trouble ?
    I’ve used both a OL Silver and a OL Encounter on my SL1210 and while the lift is a little awkward with my thick fingers I still managed for about 4yrs. I’ve now moved over to a Jelco 850S which does not have the issue.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Nat.

This is really a non issue try the arm for sound first and then decide if you can live with the arm lift being so low, It is usable and doesn't affect sound

+ Reply to Thread