Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your turntable history

I'm Gary.

Early 1980’s The Parent’s Amstrad tower system

1987 Marantz TT151
    1996 Rega Planar 2
    2005 Michell Gyro
    2010 Michell “Gorbe” with SME V/ Dynavector XX2 mk2

2019 Rega Planar 10/ Apheta 3 ...and the end of the road.

Where does all the time go?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Dont really use one now although the last one in list is still with me.. 1. Srm. 2. Thorens td 160. 3. Jbe. all great in their own way

[IMG]20140612_104038 by grant brown, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by struth; 19-06-2020 at 08:13.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Always loved that Thorens, she was a looker!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Always loved that Thorens, she was a looker!
    yeah, i probably should have kept it tbh but i was starting to struggle with tt's then... the dd jbe is more solid
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by sugdenfan View Post
    Hi all I'm John. My turntable journey not as extensive as some. When I look at it I keep my turntable nearly twenty years!

1980: Thorens td166. Sixteen years old couldn't afford LP12!
    1985: Linn LP12, Linn basic LVV, AT cartridge. Linn Ittok, Valhalla, Pink Link, Aro, RATA Torlyte armboard and subchassis all followed.
    2006: Michell Orbe SE still in use daily.
    2014: Thorens TD2030 my 50th present to myself, also in use daily.
    2024: My 60th!

Thanks for looking,

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Denis.

hm... back to past - it start with some BSR,then Technics sl 303, Music hall 5.1,Vpi Scout, Rega rp 6,Thorens 160n with Origin onyx tonearm and Lenco 75 - i have still this last two.

I'm Julian.

I've had comparatively few decks (I am discounting all the terrible cheap rubbish I had as a child). Started with a Systemdek IIX/900 back around 1993, RB250 and an AT95E, then later a Goldring 1012 if I recall correctly. I then progressed on to my first Voyd, which was an early model with the colour-matched (!) top plate (it was awful) and a square silver start/stop button, a prototype split-phase PSU and some odd wiring alterations! It was a non-runner when I acquired it. Guy Sargent refurbished and upgraded it for me with the Ref platter & bearing, the normal grey top plate and later power switch and a proper arm board in place of a ratty old bit of ally that had done duty until that point. I kept that until 2014, when financial issues meant it was sold. I cried!

After a long hiatus without a hi-fi system at all I was given an early Pro-Ject Essential by a friend of my partner two years ago, which I upgraded with the acrylic platter, external speed controller, clamp and some simple sorbothane feet, sounds really nice for what is a very simple deck really, and it works great in my (now) second system with a 1042 attached. Last year I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire another Voyd, this one is one of the last models I believe. Same Ref platter & bearing, and the normal split-phase PSU. Currently fitted with an Origin Live Encounter 3c and another Goldring 1042. This one is absolutely a keeper. Unless a full Reference crosses my path, that is....

Oh, and as a side project which will one day get finished, I have an Oxford Acoustics Crystal Reference that's waiting for a full refurbishment. My dream deck from my early days of hi-fi - no idea how it's going to sound, but the sheer size and weight of the thing plus that incredible two-part platter makes it a wonderful bit of eye-candy, even if it sounds terrible! I shall never part with it.

Here it is at home before being dismantled for the refurb:

IMG_0027.jpg

I'm Nari.

I have an Oxford Acoustics Crystal Reference that's waiting for a full refurbishment. My dream deck from my early days of hi-fi - no idea how it's going to sound, but the sheer size and weight of the thing plus that incredible two-part platter makes it a wonderful bit of eye-candy, even if it sounds terrible! I shall never part with it.

Here it is at home before being dismantled for the refurb:

IMG_0027.jpg[/QUOTE]

I owned a Oxford crystal reference a good looking deck that could also sound good when partnered with the right arm, the sme tonearms never worked well on then for instance when I changed to a pink anniversary with the sme it was vastly better. The Oxford liked free sounding arms unipivots worked as did the Airtangent this was a classic combination at the time. The suspension rubbers always perished I messed about with many alternatives at the time.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post

I owned a Oxford crystal reference a good looking deck that could also sound good when partnered with the right arm, the sme tonearms never worked well on then for instance when I changed to a pink anniversary with the sme it was vastly better. The Oxford liked free sounding arms unipivots worked as did the Airtangent this was a classic combination at the time. The suspension rubbers always perished I messed about with many alternatives at the time.
    The SME V was with the TT when I bought it (eBay) about 6 years ago. I knew that wasn't the ideal combination but it's a decent enough arm (although not to my taste) and did return me a bit of the purchase price when I sold it. An Airtangent or similar parallel tracker would be nice, but I don't see my budget stretching that far any time soon! It will probably be a conventional pivoted arm - if I can fit a 10" or even 12" on with a new armboard I'll probably go down that route.

The deck is currently dismantled and stored in my parent's music room so I can't see if that's possible or if I'll be restricted to a standard 9.5". I have both SME and Rega mount armboards so I have flexibility of choice with conventional arms!

The plan is to do a cosmetic and mechanical overhaul. I have already had the suspension parts seen to - my deck has the later alloy-encapsulated bushes, rather than the simpler cones, and I had an engineering company test the original material and refurbish with something of the same qualities. I need to decide on a suitable finish for the pillar and plinth - mine is the black ash finish rather than the more traditional wood veneer and I'm trying to decide if I want to do something a bit different with it, or keep it standard. I'm erring towards the former at the moment, something that updates the look without ruining it.

I'm in touch with snoopdog (of this parish and Hi-Fi Wigwam) who is also an ex-owner, and he has given me some advice on the desk's setup. The trickiest bit for me though is going to be finding a suitable space for it in my lounge! I don't have many spots that I could accommodate it in so it may have to wait a little longer before it gets the attention it deserves

I'm Leo.

Linn Axis
    Linn LP12
    Notts Spacedeck
    Notts Hyperspace
    Notts Dais
    Notts Ace Space - (soon to be sold)
    Notts Hyperspace (on order)

I see a pattern!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast