+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Croft 25R Preamp Tube rolling

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Maybe try the ECC803S 32 at some stage. It is as good as the Telefunken ECC803S. You may read differently elsewhere but I struggled to tell the two apart after days of trying. Weeks actually now I think about it.
    I will try and get hold of some. You haven't got any knocking about have you Justin.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I will try and get hold of some. You haven't got any knocking about have you Justin.
    No I sold them with the amp. It doesn't look like the 37 (Trinec) factory ever made an ECC803S, it being the sole preserve of the Rosnov (32) one? Could be wrong, though.

Have a look at the picture below. A few (but not all - just the ones I sold with the amp) 12BH7As are in there.

The 4 RCAs at the top left are the Mexican mid 70s grey short plates. The two in the leftmost middle row are RCA grey long plates, as are the two on the bottom row two in from the left (but white print from an earlier period). The Daddy's, though, are the two by the white boxes, packed March 1966, with long black plates. Cream of the crop, I think.

I'm James.

What a fantastic collection. I am after a NOS RCA 12BH7a so sad I missed you selling them.

I have plenty of the ECC83 37's which I believe are younger than the 32's. Swapping them in my phono stage last night with the modern JJTesla was like night and day!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What a fantastic collection. I am after a NOS RCA 12BH7a so sad I missed you selling them.

I have plenty of the ECC83 37's which I believe are younger than the 32's. Swapping them in my phono stage last night with the modern JJTesla was like night and day!
    I sold the Air Tight probably 10 years ago now... not surprised you missed it

The 37s may be right up your street. Not heard them. There are no guarantees... you may prefer the 37s but the ECC803S is "supposed" to be the best ECC83.

Have fun.

I'm James.

I'm pretty sure Tesla never produced an ECC803S, just a copy of the Telefunken legend, produced as an ECC83 and an E83CC which are both frame grid valves.

Whilst on the subject I've never been entirely convinced Tesla gold pin ECC83 types were factory produced, though E88CC valves were so...

I've never had the fabled ECC803S Telefunken to play with but can tell you that all the Tesla valves off the production line have astonishingly consistent measured performance, hard on datasheet spec, no need for matching.

Sonically the 32 valves outperform the 37 in my Art Vinyl, more alive. This suits me fine as they are easier to get NOS and cheaper as well. The Trinec are genuine NOS, Rosnov allegedly so though I can't be certain (gold pins as well), they all measure very much the same.

I have some Tesla instrumentation grade military tubes, crossed swords, red dot, NOS as well that I haven't used, Rosnov factory E83CC and 88CC. These are now rare as anything, I daren't use them!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

Not sure what you are saying Jazzid.

There are plenty of Tesla 32 ECC803S yellow print gold pins on eBay now. They were allegedly produced using Telefunken equipment.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Not sure what you are saying Jazzid.

There are plenty of Tesla 32 ECC803S yellow print gold pins on eBay now. They were allegedly produced using Telefunken equipment.
    Sorry Justin, I was having a(nother) senior moment I think. Of course you are correct - there are such valves - and they aren't frame grids, they're ladder plates which wasn't relevant to what you were saying! I am a big fan of frame grid valves so started rambling on about them, and in that context in my system the 37 code tubes do sound better. I've never tried the ladder plate Teslas so have no opinion about them, but if you think they might be in the same ballpark as the frame grid valves then I shall certainly put them on my radar.

I'm Marcus.

Hi there,

I habe a 25RS phono integrated. It should be one of his first RS cause it originally came with two 300VA toroids in a seperate silver housing different in dimensions. Glenn (Rip) was so kind to sell be an empty black enclosure in wich I had turned in the PSU.

My MM phono tends to sound a bit distorted and somehow a bit decraised in gain lever. Is it possible that I have to change the tubes cause I bought it second hand and don't know the age of the tubes. I own this amp for 4 ys, now.

Tubes that are used:

2 Philips Miniwatt ECC83
    1 EH 12BH7AEH Goldpin
    2 Watford Valves Cryo ECC83S
    1 Valvo 85A2 OG3

Maybe some pins are black/detoriated so bad contact

Thank you for your insights
    Last edited by Maggusch; 13-02-2024 at 11:37.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggusch View Post
    Hi there,

I habe a 25RS phono integrated. It should be one of his first RS cause it originally came with two 300VA toroids in a seperate silver housing different in dimensions. Glenn (Rip) was so kind to sell be an empty black enclosure in wich I had turned in the PSU.

My MM phono tends to sound a bit distorted and somehow a bit decraised in gain lever. Is it possible that I have to change the tubes cause I bought it second hand and don't know the age of the tubes. I own this amp for 4 ys, now.

Tubes that are used:

2 Philips Miniwatt ECC83
    1 EH 12BH7AEH Goldpin
    2 Watford Valves Cryo ECC83S
    1 Valvo 85A2 OG3

Maybe some pins are black/detoriated so bad contact

Thank you for your insights
    Maybe you can try your linestage valves in the phono section and see if the problem is still there?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456