+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Well, the Velleman was cancelled, the Khozmo has been here for a while, too lean me thinks. Anyhow as much as I've been astounded at the 909s ability to produce a truly hi fi sound, I now feel it is lacking slam, and am missing my old gear, possible because I've been playing my rock stuff lately, and the 909 lacks.....Time to plug the 306 back in. Over the next week I'll have the Croft 25 finally arriving, see how I get on with that....
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm matt.

The one thing that stood out when I first plugged in the 306, apart from the clean, well projected vocals was the bass slam. Not just powerful, but deep and tight.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    The one thing that stood out when I first plugged in the 306, apart from the clean, well projected vocals was the bass slam. Not just powerful, but deep and tight.
    Yeh, I look forward to reusing the 306, just have to get around to soldering new speaker posts on....Meanwhile I got a Croft 25 pre on the way, see how that changes things.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

I enjoy my two 306's, more so than the larger Quads really, but you may have fun comparing one to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digit...53.m1438.l2649

I have two of these as well.

Plus suitable power supplies, which are unfortunately nearly seven quid each!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I enjoy my two 306's, more so than the larger Quads really, but you may have fun comparing one to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digit...53.m1438.l2649

I have two of these as well.

Plus suitable power supplies, which are unfortunately nearly seven quid each!
    Do you use them as mono blocks? I am seriously impressed with the 909 and its hifi credentials, but I do miss slam, I might just swap it with the 306 every few months and change music taste accordingly!

I'm Mike.

Well, the Croft is here, listened for a few hours, won't make any judgments yet, but its making my 909 very hot, even hotter than the Khozmo did. Somebody mentioned changing a resistor in the Quad, or summut or other! I dunno.

I'm alan.

Well I bought a pair of new Monarchy Audio SM70 Pros on the back of all the hype and being HiFi+ product of the year etc etc etc......

Found them shit to be honest.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    Well I bought a pair of new Monarchy Audio SM70 Pros on the back of all the hype and being HiFi+ product of the year etc etc etc......

Found them shit to be honest.
    Mad isn't it. I rate them highly.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Well, the Croft is here, listened for a few hours, won't make any judgments yet, but its making my 909 very hot, even hotter than the Khozmo did. Somebody mentioned changing a resistor in the Quad, or summut or other! I dunno.
    A 909 I am assisting a friend with, is crying out for heatsinking compound between each side of the transistor bracket for each channel and the casework heatsink
    I would suggest without delay you spend an hour or so doing the same preferably today. The result guaranteed by not doing this is failure of any of the six transistors per channel.
    The reasons for this are the choice Quad made with using 0.1R emitter resistors, that are border-line with needed resistance at the transistor emitter.
    Fitting 0.2 or 0.3 ohm resistors to each emitter is a better choice. But if you don't want to go to that trouble, adequately cooling the amp by applying heatsinking compound
    to the top and bottom side of each transistor bracket will save you a costly repair bill. Note there are simple precautions with skin contact & the chemicals within heatsinking compound

The resistor you refer to is R11 normally a 7R5 which sets the sensitivity to be as I recall for the 909 @775mv. As such the 909 really suits passives, including LDR types very well.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 05-07-2019 at 00:16.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    A 909 I am assisting a friend with, is crying out for heatsinking compound between each side of the transistor bracket for each channel and the casework heatsink
    I would suggest without delay you spend an hour or so doing the same preferably today. The result guaranteed by not doing this is failure of any of the six transistors per channel.
    However applying heatsinking compound will save you a costly repair bill. Note there are precautions with skin contact & the chemicals within heatsinking compound

The resistor you refer to is R11 normally a 7R5 which sets the sensitivity to be as I recall for the 909 @775mv. As such the 909 suits passives, including LDR types very well.
    Thanks Chris, the 909 was serviced by the last owner back in 2017, wouldn't Quad have ensured enough heatsink compound?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast