+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's In to ZZ Top?

I'm Martin.

Default Who's In to ZZ Top?

If you're not you should be. Yes, I know some people struggle to get past the beards. It's worth the effort though. You might think they are just another Texas blues band who went commercial in the 1980s. And they are, but they are also much more than that. Jimi Hendrix knew it way back in 1970.

Here's my guide to checking them out. There are basically four periods of 'Top. Pre-beards, Post beards, Mainstream and Latter period. We'll start with pre-beards.

ZZ Top's first album is called ZZ Top's First Album. This is essential, and arguably their best work. 3 piece Texas Blues, but well played and the guitar playing in particular is exceptional. Billy Gibbons never does anything fancy, you watch him play and you think 'I could do that' but you couldn't. (Well probably not: maybe you are shit hot and you could, or maybe you are actually Billy Gibbons in which case you demonstrably can. Point made, anyway).

The highlight is 'Just Got Back From Baby'. If you have this new-fangled 'streaming' gizmo you can check out this one track and you will see the light . Play it at volume of course. This isn't wallpaper music.

Next up is their third effort which you'd hope would be called 'ZZ Top's Third Album' but is in fact titled 'Tres Hombres'.

More of what they did on the first one really, again this is essential. Highlights are 'Jesus Just Left Chicago' and 'La Grange'.

Then we skip forward to album number six. We are now in the Post Beard era.

Deguello is a bit of a mixed bag. Worth having for the cover of Sam n Dave's 'Cheap Sunglasses'. This was the first attempt by the Top to modernise their sound a little. It worked and the album went Platinum.

And we move on into the Mainstream era and their next album which is the one everyone knows: 'Eliminator'

The production is polished up another notch for this one. You'll all be familiar with 'Sharp Dressed Man' and 'Legs' but there is really no filler on this record. For me the best tune is 'TV Dinners'. Just a simple, grinding Texas blues but with some of the best guitar work ever done by anyone, anywhere, ever. The finest, dirtiest groove ever recorded in fact.

Which brings us to the second album in this triumvirate, 'Afterburner':

More of the same but with a much bigger production, more synths (not wheezing away like some prog band but sounding like bin lids being smashed together). A poppier feel to some of the tunes like 'Stages' and 'Rough Boy', but still some properly grinding guitar, especially on the Tap-esque titled 'Woke Up With Wood.'

'Recycler' from '1990' is the final album in the 'commercial' period.

The title may be tongue in cheek since the boys revisit some of the old riffs with this one but it is still well done. No more poppy stuff but the production on this is huge. It must be the 'biggest' sounding rock album ever recorded and sounds very impressive through a big rig. It's also one of the highest rated vinyl albums on the dynamic range database. The CD ain't too shabby either.

No filler on this one either and if you liked the previous two then this one is also essential.

Finally the last one I'd recommend checking out is Rhythmeen from 1996

A return to roots, so if you liked the Pre-Beard era albums you'll like this too. Marred a little by too much compression I think (only got the cd, vinyl may be better if you can find one) but again some great Texas Blues on this one. How does he get that guitar sound? It's beyond dirty on this. It will actually make you smile just to hear it.

Get past the beards, folks!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Default Who's In to ZZ Top?

Used to have quite a few on vinyl. Sold em all. Lol
    They were in back to future
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richie.

No RGM?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    No RGM?
    I left out the albums that are an acquired taste. I don't even think the band themselves were that keen how on RGM turned out.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

'Nasty Dogs and Funky kings' is still my favourite ZZ Top track. It's short, mean and powerful! Perfect!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm quite fond of Mescalero, as well as One Foot in the Blues
    Barry

I'm Steve.

I saw them live at Donington in 1985. It was at the height of their 'Eliminator' popularity.

Their arrival was announced by a helicopter flying over the venue with that hot rod dangling from it (I bet health and Safety would have something to say about that these days).

They were just brilliant, and probably the loudest band I've ever heard, especially considering it was outdoors. A good day out for rock fans I think, supported by Marillion, Metallica and Magnum.

At that time, Frank Beard was the only one without one
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    'Nasty Dogs and Funky kings' is still my favourite ZZ Top track. It's short, mean and powerful! Perfect!!
    That has got the kick to it, no doubt. Probably shouldn't have left 'Fandango' out actually, but it's not one to start with I don't think.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That has got the kick to it, no doubt. Probably shouldn't have left 'Fandango' out actually, but it's not one to start with I don't think.
    Just played it. Wicked !

Here's a YouTube link if anybody doesn't know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WNoG4pf6I

I'm James.

They did a great gig at Glastonbuy a couple of years back. Billy Gibbons is certainly a dude and really like his laid back playing.

Yep TV dinners is a great bit of music. Bought Eliminator again on vinyl recently just for this track.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast