+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I keep anything or start again?

I'm Richard.

Default Do I keep anything or start again?

After a break for other things in life I'm now planning a system for the next 15 years or so. I want a vinyl only system, mid range I have a few pieces from my original set up and I wonder if there is any point in keeping any of them or sell the lot and start again.

I have ended up with a few long stored items - original Rega 3 with RB200 arm, Nytech 252, Systemdek IIx 900 with RB300 arm and old Yorks hifi 1-3 speakers.

• I am thinking about keeping the Nytech and getting it serviced - but that will cost £300

• The Systemdek again can be serviced and it used to be a step up from the Rega but not as good as a Pink Triangle I used to own.

• Sell the Rega and give away the speakers

What would you do? I'm thinking that £300 could be used better for a Rega Brio -R or even a Sugden A21, and then look to Spendor or similar for the speakers

What do you recommend?

I'm Timothy.

Maybe establish a budget, and then try to listen to complete systems around that price point and go from there. It is a start anyway!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Dave.

Is it worth doing a mid-range vinyl system? I’m not going to get into vinyl vs digital or other discussions, but I’m really not sure that it’s worth doing a mid range system. Do you already have a lot of vinyl records? If so, it might make sense, otherwise maybe not. I don’t have quite the same “problem” as I do use and collect CDs (maybe around 6000) but I’ve also got turntables which I never seem to have time to fix, and vinyl which doesn’t get played.

I have thought of buying a new modest turntable just to play some of the rarer LPs, but most of the stuff I have is on CDs anyway.
    Dave

I'm Richard.

Maybe establish a budget, and then try to listen to complete systems around that price point and go from there. It is a start anyway!
    Budget for all - buying second hand - is approx £2k plus whatever I raise from selling

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Is it worth doing a mid-range vinyl system? I’m not going to get into vinyl vs digital or other discussions, but I’m really not sure that it’s worth doing a mid range system. Do you already have a lot of vinyl records? If so, it might make sense, otherwise maybe not. I don’t have quite the same “problem” as I do use and collect CDs (maybe around 6000) but I’ve also got turntables which I never seem to have time to fix, and vinyl which doesn’t get played.

Yes - a lot of vinyl which is why I want a vinyl only system

I'm Alan.

Hi Richard, £300 seems an awful lot to get the Nytech serviced.
    I can take a look at it for you for a lot less if you wish, I service/repair/modify all sorts.

I'm Adrian.

Default Do I keep anything or start again?

Quote Originally Posted by eatapeach View Post
    Budget for all - buying second hand - is approx £2k plus whatever I raise from selling Yes - a lot of vinyl which is why I want a vinyl only system
    Well the Systemdek i believe is actually not that bad and was well thought of when it came out, I suspect you could spend £1k or more on a replacement on not get much improvement. The rb300 is similarly a pretty good and well thought after arm. I would consider a good cartridge presumably MM. The Nytech was good in its day and was built well, slightly let down by its balance and volume pots, if the £300 sorts caps and gets it on spec then it may be hard to better, it looks like they sell for £200-300, a tricky one, maybe sell and look for a good amp, £500 to £1k. There are plenty of good speakers around 2nd hand, there have been several on here recently for £300 to £800. I do have some JBL Century L100’s but may be outside your budget, depending what you do.
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 28-11-2019 at 08:21.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

I agree with the above post. I'd personally sell the Rega which should near on pay for Firebottle to do the service of the Nytech, and look for a suitable cartridge and speakers. The vinyl rabbit hole will eat your £2k and still be hungry for more and you need speakers more than a t/t and arm. If you want to upgrade afterwards well fair enough, but it will be a good system and a handsome budget available for speakers which will make the biggest difference.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Well the Systemdek i believe is actually not that bad and was well thought of when it came out, I suspect you could spend £1k or more on a replacement on not get much improvement.
    I agree.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by eatapeach View Post
    What would you do? I'm thinking that £300 could be used better for a Rega Brio -R or even a Sugden A21, and then look to Spendor or similar for the speakers

What do you recommend?
    The Brio R has been used by quite a few members here and is well liked.

You won't get a modern Sugden A21 variant for £300 and even the original vintage ones are likely to cost that much or more and also likely to need an expensive full rebuild/service adding a few more hundreds to your outlay and to be honest, it's nice, but not that nice.

Have you looked at the Quad Vena for a bit more money second hand, they have been getting popular?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I have a pair of PMC TB2+ in oak that I've had from new, perfect condition, all boxes etc with Partington Dreadnought stands. Have the matching centre too as it happens...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast