+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern MM Cartridge on old Amplifier

I'm Paul.

Default Modern MM Cartridge on old Amplifier

Hi all

Just wondering

What is the result if a modern MM cartridge is used with the Phono stage of a older vintage amplifier.

Most if not all modern cartridges are made to work with an impedance between 100 & 200pF but my old Pioneer as an input impedance of over 300pF, what would the result be if I used a modern cartridge with this Amp.

I am currently using a Denon DL-110 MC and was told MC cartridges are not affected my the input impedance, is that correct.

Thanks for your input on this.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    What is the result if a modern MM cartridge is used with the Phono stage of a older vintage amplifier.

Most if not all modern cartridges are made to work with an impedance between 100 & 200pF but my old Pioneer as an input impedance of over 300pF, what would the result be if I used a modern cartridge with this Amp.
    The cartridge will not sound as intended. The most likely result of exceedingly high capacitive loading is that the high frequency resonance will be shifted lower into the audio band resulting in bright sound. And don't forget to add cable capacitance (usually about 100pF) to the total.

I am currently using a Denon DL-110 MC and was told MC cartridges are not affected my the input impedance, is that correct.
    MC cartridges usually don't care about capacitive loading but are fussy about resistive loading. DL-110 is a high output MC cartridge designed for standard 47kOhm resistive loading.

I'm Paul.

The specs for my Amp show the MM side is 50Kohm so assume its ok, it sound ok.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Andre.

Why on earth would you want to spoil the sound of a vintage amp with a modern cart?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Why on earth would you want to spoil the sound of a vintage amp with a modern cart?
    Presumably because Paul doesn't have a 'vintage' cartridge to use with his vintage amp.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Rubbish
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

I would have thought it'd simply be a case of trying a cartridge, and if you like the sound, great. And if you don't, try something else. But what do I know, I'm hoping someone with better ears than me at Kegworth will be able to tell me whether my 2M black could be set up better
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I would have thought it'd simply be a case of trying a cartridge, and if you like the sound, great. And if you don't, try something else.
    +1 I'm inclined to agree!
    Barry

I'm Paul.

My pockets are not as deep as yours so just dropping a few hundred just to try is not can option for me. Not that I was going to as I am happy with the one I have, as said at the being, I was just wondering what the effect would be, having been told modern MM carts do not work well with older AMPS.

Thanks for all the replies though.

I'm Andrew.

Hi all

Just wondering

Thanks for your input on this.

Paul
    Just buy and trust your ears. TBH nobody on the forum is going to know how it sounds in your system, we can only speculate.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast