+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marantz CD12/DA12 questions

I'm Adrian.

Default Marantz CD12/DA12 questions

So I'm looking for the best CD player I can afford and one of these is in the running - but I have 2 questions...

1. Does anyone know if the volume on the remote means it has a variable output (meaning I can sell my beloved Luxman TVC to help the purchase)? I've looked and looked online but cant find out.

2. The seller doesn't have transport bolts - can anyone think of a solution?

In general I'm stuck between the marantz 12 or 94mk1 set up or an esoteric X03 SE.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    So I'm looking for the best CD player I can afford and one of these is in the running - but I have 2 questions...

1. Does anyone know if the volume on the remote means it has a variable output (meaning I can sell my beloved Luxman TVC to help the purchase)? I've looked and looked online but cant find out.

2. The seller doesn't have transport bolts - can anyone think of a solution?

In general I'm stuck between the marantz 12 or 94mk1 set up or an esoteric X03 SE.
    Over rated and crazy prices (£3000 to whatever ?). Regarding sound quality the Marantz CD94 mk 2 is as good, though the balanced out puts on the DA12 might give it the edge hooked up to a balanced pre amp, if hooked up via rcas I doubt there would be any difference.

No transit bolts on any of these CD players, including CD94 and CD94 mk 2 don't buy, without those it will end up smashed junk. The bolts are unique to these, I doubt any alternative can be found.

Esoteric drives are way too noisy if you are sitting close to them, especially if playing an SACD.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

My concern over the CD12 set up is getting it fixed should anything go tits up. There's an Esoteric service centre not too far from me - but I'm not sure it offers the lush liquidity of the CD12 as reported by users and the sound im looking for - I cannot tolerate glare. I'm not so worried about a little whirr (Esoteric) as the listening distance is large.

The CD94mk2 can be serviced (according to the net) but not been offered a MK2.

I would have thought an assortment of standard bolts should yield a match for the transit bolts, but that depends on the seller going the extra mile...

Choosing the TT was much easier.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Neil.

My concern over the CD12 set up is getting it fixed should anything go tits up. There's an Esoteric service centre not too far from me - but I'm not sure it offers the lush liquidity of the CD12 as reported by users and the sound im looking for - I cannot tolerate glare. I'm not so worried about a little whirr (Esoteric) as the listening distance is large.

The CD94mk2 can be serviced (according to the net) but not been offered a MK2.

I would have thought an assortment of standard bolts should yield a match for the transit bolts, but that depends on the seller going the extra mile...

Choosing the TT was much easier.
    The bolts are not bolts as such, but a lovely thing made for Marantz no idea what the thread is on them. I have two players that use them a CD94 mk2 and a CD7.

I would hold out for the Marantz CD94 mk2 they appear on EBay every so often. The mechanism in a CD12 is same as in CD94, 94mk2 a Philips CDM1. You can buy replacements, but not cheap I have seen them from £250 to over £300.

I have an two box Esoteric SACD player transport and DAC combination. I haven't heard the Esoteric model you mention, but all modernish Esoterics have transport noise and at its worst, with some models, playing an SACD, you can hear it across the room. I got rid of an Esoteric P3 transport because I could not stand the noise.

Its all Ken Kesslers fault re the CD12, he had one tweaked by Ken Ishiwata, there were a few like this and I am sure they were very good, but back in the day when the CD94 mk2 was compared to a standard CD12, the 94 mk2 came out as being slightly better.

Unfortunately the CD12 has been lifted to a position in my view it does not warrant, and a price that is mental. I bought my CD7 third hand from its second owner and did not pay a mental price for it. These too are now crazy money. I would avoid the first two Sony SACD players, the top loeaders as mechanisms for this can't be got.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    The bolts are not bolts as such, but a lovely thing made for Marantz no idea what the thread is on them. I have two players that use them a CD94 mk2 and a CD7.

I would hold out for the Marantz CD94 mk2 they appear on EBay every so often. The mechanism in a CD12 is same as in CD94, 94mk2 a Philips CDM1. You can buy replacements, but not cheap I have seen them from £250 to over £300.

I have an two box Esoteric SACD player transport and DAC combination. I haven't heard the Esoteric model you mention, but all modernish Esoterics have transport noise and at its worst, with some models, playing an SACD, you can hear it across the room. I got rid of an Esoteric P3 transport because I could not stand the noise.

Its all Ken Kesslers fault re the CD12, he had one tweaked by Ken Ishiwata, there were a few like this and I am sure they were very good, but back in the day when the CD94 mk2 was compared to a standard CD12, the 94 mk2 came out as being slightly better.

Unfortunately the CD12 has been lifted to a position in my view it does not warrant, and a price that is mental. I bought my CD7 third hand from its second owner and did not pay a mental price for it. These too are now crazy money. I would avoid the first two Sony SACD players, the top loeaders as mechanisms for this can't be got.
    Thank you. Your advice is very helpful - and I agree about mental money - if a 94 MK2 / CD7 came up I'd probably grab either one and not look back. The CD12 I've been offered has been modded in line with the famed Kessler machine but no transport bolts, no packaging and a seller loathe to risk his own boxing abilities and me being in Spain means it's unlikely I'll go that route - though my heart says yes and it usually wins out.

Trusting someone on eBay is another issue, I much prefer buying here - but it might be a long wait for something special to come along.

The Esoteric has all packaging, is in perfect condition and is priced relatively sensibly.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Neil.

Thank you. Your advice is very helpful - and I agree about mental money - if a 94 MK2 / CD7 came up I'd probably grab either one and not look back. The CD12 I've been offered has been modded in line with the famed Kessler machine but no transport bolts, no packaging and a seller loathe to risk his own boxing abilities and me being in Spain means it's unlikely I'll go that route - though my heart says yes and it usually wins out.

Trusting someone on eBay is another issue, I much prefer buying here - but it might be a long wait for something special to come along.

The Esoteric has all packaging, is in perfect condition and is priced relatively sensibly.
    Not someone from my part of the world?
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Not someone from my part of the world?
    I don't know - where are you based?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Neil.

I don't know - where are you based?
    Its in my profile to the right, northern ireland.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread