+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LPs in Sainsbury's

I'm Grant.

Default LPs in Sainsbury's

The phrase. That's Hank Marvin didn't come about by accident. Hank and cliff Richard were common when I was young

I know it's used meaning starving but was also used as rank
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

From Wikipedia: (ok, you can’t take Wikipedia as gospel, but even so...)

Marvin influenced many British rock guitarists, including Andy Summers, Syd Barrett, George Harrison,[12]Eric Clapton,[12]David Gilmour,[12]Brian May,[13]Mark Knopfler,[12][14]Peter Frampton,[15]Steve Howe,[16]Roy Wood,[17]Tony Iommi,[18]Pete Townshend,[19]Ritchie Blackmore and Jeff Beck.[20]. Australian guitar virtuoso Tommy Emmanuel has also paid hommage to Marvin on various recordings.

No idea who Tommy Emmanuel is, but the rest of them are vaguely familiar!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My mum was quite keen on them. I remember them being on the telly one night and her insisting we all watch them. After all of her build up when they came on we were like 'What? Is this it?'

That would be about 1977.
    I'm going back to 1963 - 'Frightened City' was the very first single I bought (at 6/3 (= 32.5p)! Might still have it somewhere.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm going back to 1963 - 'Frightened City' was the very first single I bought (at 6/3 (= 32.5p)! Might still have it somewhere.
    The only music I really like pre 1967 is some jazz and some big band stuff. And Sinatra. The rest is either too tame or too 'of its time' for me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

The only music I really like pre 1967 is some jazz and some big band stuff. And Sinatra. The rest is either too tame or too 'of its time' for me.
    Yes - but I was 13 at the time. Loathed big band jazz and still do.

Vast tracts of my record collection is 'of it's time' as of the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s. And I suppose the same could be said of the American
    Negro Blues of the '30s and '40s.
    Barry

I'm Sean.

1967 does seem to be a bit of a turning point for me too but it did get me thinking about the best pre 1967 albums I like, only just scraping in but Pet Sounds and John Mayall's Beano album spring to mind. Probably lots more if I give it a bit more thought.

I'm Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    1967 does seem to be a bit of a turning point for me too but it did get me thinking about the best pre 1967 albums I like, only just scraping in but Pet Sounds and John Mayall's Beano album spring to mind. Probably lots more if I give it a bit more thought.
    Revolver is one of the more obvious ones I've missed, again 66 so only scraping in.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What always amuses me with these things is how they determine what age the respective fathers will be, in terms of predicting the type of music offered for sale?

For example, my dad's 85, so he'd be more interested in Nat King Cole, than the Eagles, and at the other end of the scale, if your dad's 25, he's more going to be interested in something like the Arctic Monkeys...

So how do they decide which age demographic of fathers to pitch to?

Marco.
    The whole concept of age stereotyping frankly terrifies me. I have an awful image of myself in thirty years time aged 96 sitting in a decrepit group of drooling geriatric baby-boomers whilst some eager millennial plays the Bay City Rollers and David Cassidy to us in the fond hope that they’ll dredge up happy memories of our lost youth and reconnect us to reality.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    Revolver is one of the more obvious ones I've missed, again 66 so only scraping in.
    What about 'Rubber Soul' and some of the early Stones?
    Barry

I'm Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What about 'Rubber Soul' and some of the early Stones?
    yes, there's probably loads if I think about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast