+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passive pre-amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm not saying they don't sound good. The one I had here, built by Alan [Firebottle] was good, I enjoyed it and said so.

I am simply disputing the claim they are free of distortion when multiple sources claim otherwise with evidence provided. The values of resistance between two LDR's are rarely, if ever identical and channel balance issues are well known when using LDR's.

If the Audio Science Forum come back with the result that it is free of distortion, I will accept that. They are not biased in any way bu the fact remains that LDR's are flawed, as are almost anything in HiFi.
    Nothing in audio is entirely distortion free. However our hearing has a perspective measuring instruments cannot begin to approach. As example pace rhythm and timing- measure that if you can successfully !
    What in measurements makes you want to dance, to begin tapping your feet... so measurements alone, are a tool to be viewed with much scepticism ( some would say hilarity ) .

With LDR's there are poor ways of powering them , and there are really good ways of powering them. Sadly this difference
    has not been recognised before. It is my aim for this to change, to prove there are benefits to audio reproduction in audio systems, by recognising these differences.
    In the process the poorer ways of powering LDR's will be hopefully permanently forgotten.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Nothing in audio is entirely distortion free. However our hearing has a perspective measuring instruments cannot begin to approach. As example pace rhythm and timing- measure that if you can successfully !
    What in measurements makes you want to dance, to begin tapping your feet... so measurements alone, are a tool to be viewed with much scepticism ( some would say hilarity ) .
    You could find the reason for any of those characteristics in the measurements, albeit correlation of subjective appreciation and measured performance is not always straightforward.

There isn't some mysterious force that controls foot tapping or whatever operating entirely independently of the parameters of the equipment in use.

Nice try but that dog won't hunt.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You could find the reason for any of those characteristics in the measurements, albeit correlation of subjective appreciation and measured performance is not always straightforward.

There isn't some mysterious force that controls foot tapping or whatever operating entirely independently of the parameters of the equipment in use.

Nice try but that dog won't hunt.
    Entirely I agree, its not straightforward. Measurements cannot presently fully approach what we hear. Here's another one, how does measurement measure sound stage behind, above and forward of speakers?
    Measurement fails to qualify properly, all the things we hear in music, rather it presently jumbles it into another language that is hard to interpret. Measurements agreed are a useful tool, but only tell
    part of the picture.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Entirely I agree, its not straightforward. Measurements cannot presently fully approach what we hear. Here's another one, how does measurement measure sound stage behind, above and forward of speakers?
    Measurement fails to qualify properly, all the things we hear in music, rather it presently jumbles it into another language that is hard to interpret. Measurements agreed are a useful tool, but only tell
    part of the picture.
    Agreed, but to Macca's point even if this is the stance somebody takes, if it also measure well those measurements will be promoted. If it doesn't measure well they're irrelevant....

+ Reply to Thread