+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jelco effective mass

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Default Jelco effective mass

Anyone here know what the Effective mass of the Jelco SA -750db is? I can't seem to find a reliable source.

Also am i right in thinking the Headshell mass is 12Gr?

Thanks in advance.
    Charles

Acer Laptop/Foobar/WASAPI/S/PDIF/DacMagic/Mini T/Mission 754

I'm Juha.

I have this info, cannot remember where I got it:

Effective mass 20gr for SA-750D 9"

Effective mass 26gr for SA-750L 12"

Effective mass 18gr for SA-250ST 9"
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by selfaddict View Post
    I have this info, cannot remember where I got it:

Effective mass 20gr for SA-750D 9"

Effective mass 26gr for SA-750L 12"

Effective mass 18gr for SA-250ST 9"
    I see there was an answer from the Head of Sales at Jelco (in Japan I think) to a letter written by someone on VE - he stated it was 20g but didn't say if it was with or without headshell. I'd presume without, seeing as the SA250T is would be very close at its own 18g eff mass (which is fixed shell).

The info does seem somewhat elusive though - been searching for a while myself.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm arecurringnightmare.

Thank you. I had Emailed Jelco direct for the answer, if i get a reply i'll post here, just for future reference.

Does seem strange them not showing the Effective mass in their Spec sheet tho. Surely its one of the most important aspects for Cartridge matching.
    Charles

Acer Laptop/Foobar/WASAPI/S/PDIF/DacMagic/Mini T/Mission 754

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifolk View Post
    Does seem strange them not showing the Effective mass in their Spec sheet tho. Surely its one of the most important aspects for Cartridge matching.
    Those were exactly my thoughts too.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifolk View Post
    Anyone here know what the Effective mass of the Jelco SA -750db is? I can't seem to find a reliable source.

Also am i right in thinking the Headshell mass is 12Gr?

Thanks in advance.
    Charles,

The standard headshell is a tiny bit under 12g.

The arm's effective mass is 20g, as shown in this email from Jelco below (posted to Vinyl Engine). I can't imagine that the effective mass is quoted without the headshell - that would be 32g, and most modern medium/low-ish compliance cartridges would be rendered incompatible.

Posted Mon, 01/25/2010 - 20:45 by Alfredo56

I asked the news of the effective mass Jelco arm SA 750-D, the answer:

Dear Bisogno,

Thank you for your inquiry for SA-750D tonearm.
    Effective mass is 20gr.
    Damping oil is 500cps silicone oil.

Best regards.

Haruo Uchida/sales manager.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Andrew.

Michell Orbe with Moerch DP-6 Gold Precision > Shure Ultra 500 / London Jubilee / Miyajima Kansui > Croft RIAA R / Miyajima ETR-800P / Audion The Converter DAC > Audion Premier 2.0 > Audion Golden Night 300B/PX25 & Audio Black Shadow 845 > Audio Nirvana 15" Classic Alnico with Tannoy ST200.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Andrew,

The answer is that the Jelco SA-750D (the most commonly sold model) has an effective mass of just under 14g, which of course can be tailored (mass decreased or increased) by fitting a lighter or heavier headshell to the tonearm.

Ignore other info in that respect, given earlier on the thread, as it is bogus.

The SA-750D is thus best suited for use with low to medium compliance MC cartridges. The Denon DL-103, for example, is a really good match.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Hi Marco! Thanks for reply.
    I've also contacted with Jelco Ichikawa support and asked them to confirm this information.
    They confirmed it:
    Thank you for your inquiry for SA-750L(12") effective mass.
    Details as follows.
    Effective mass is 10.96gr without cartridge.
    Effective mass is 18.56gr with 6.5gr cartridge.
    Best regards,

Haruo Uchida/sales manager
    Therefore, previous info about the 26 grams of Jelco SA-750L is absolutely incorrect.
    Regards, Andrew.
    Michell Orbe with Moerch DP-6 Gold Precision > Shure Ultra 500 / London Jubilee / Miyajima Kansui > Croft RIAA R / Miyajima ETR-800P / Audion The Converter DAC > Audion Premier 2.0 > Audion Golden Night 300B/PX25 & Audio Black Shadow 845 > Audio Nirvana 15" Classic Alnico with Tannoy ST200.

I'm Neal.

There is an effective mass calculator over on VE, you need the resonance frequency given by a test record, the cartridge compliance, cartridge and fastener mass. The resonance frequency needs to be quite accurate though, I ended up recording the resonance track whilst timing it from the start to the point at which the arm went unstable then analyzing the track in Audacity and noting the frequency at the timing point.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast