+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hana SL or ML Cartridge

I'm Alberto.

Default Hana SL or ML Cartridge

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'd like to share a question with you.
    I have a technics 1210 with an original tonearm, rewired (rca's and tonearm cable) and a gold note ph-10 pre-amp. Till now I have MM cartridges and want to buy a better MC cartridge. After some readings and get a good price for hana's I'm think about to buy a hana's cartridge. So, the question is Hana SL or Hana ML, do you think I'll get everything hana ML can do with a original technics tonearm?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Souldust View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'd like to share a question with you.
    I have a technics 1210 with an original tonearm, rewired (rca's and tonearm cable) and a gold note ph-10 pre-amp. Till now I have MM cartridges and want to buy a better MC cartridge. After some readings and get a good price for hana's I'm think about to buy a hana's cartridge. So, the question is Hana SL or Hana ML, do you think I'll get everything hana ML can do with a original technics tonearm?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    The original arm isn't what I'd class as a bad arm but as always, you could do better.

I'd rather have a better arm before I upgraded the cartridge as you don't and won't know for sure how good something is until you can get the best from it.

Something like a Jelco will be a decent upgrade and is fairly simple to fit to your 1210.

I'm Alberto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The original arm isn't what I'd class as a bad arm but as always, you could do better.

I'd rather have a better arm before I upgraded the cartridge as you don't and won't know for sure how good something is until you can get the best from it.

Something like a Jelco will be a decent upgrade and is fairly simple to fit to your 1210.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you mean the Jelco 750? I've been watching the SME 3009 II improved but I don't know it's a very good improvement and it's a light mass tonearm. In the other hand the Sorane tonearm looks like a good one but it's quite a bit too much and I should wait a bit.

Thanks

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Souldust View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you mean the Jelco 750? I've been watching the SME 3009 II improved but I don't know it's a very good improvement and it's a light mass tonearm. In the other hand the Sorane tonearm looks like a good one but it's quite a bit too much and I should wait a bit.

Thanks
    I'd avoid the SME, I had two and neither of them made any waves here. The Jelco is a time tested performer and contains no hidden nasties. A very capable arm for an OK price.

If you want better, look at Audiomods arms although you may have issues fitting one to your technics. You'd have to investigate that.

I'm Grant.

would't class the 3009 mk2 imp a bad arm either. quite the opposite although it needs a heavier counterweight and if tracking above 2gm then a extra rider too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Graham.

Jeff at audiomods can supply a bespoke Soundsupports armplate for the 1200 for the.audiomods arm I think it is shown on his site but I cant post links atm.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    would't class the 3009 mk2 imp a bad arm either. quite the opposite although it needs a heavier counterweight and if tracking above 2gm then a extra rider too.
    Can only speak from experience mate, as ou know. It can't have as many fans as it does and be total cack but it didn't work for me.

Just seen there may be a fitment for the Audiomods. Thats where i'd go for your TT

I'm Mike.

I wouldn't rush off and buy a another tonearm, just try what cart you want in your existing arm and see how it sounds. For me the most obvious difference you can make to a turntable is the cart, and I mean ALOT of difference, everything else is refining things. I have a Nagoaka moving magnet cart and its fantastic value at only £250 direct from Japan, the mp 200.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mel.

Alberto,

Go with your gut feel on the upgrade path else you will never be happy.

The standard arm is not bad and if you want a mc then buy that first - after a listen you may well be happy and not want to spend more.

Buy another arm plus the fitting plate and leads and you will be paying much more than for the suggested mc’s. - and you will still want to try the mc after all !

Don’t forget its the law of diminishing returns and its easy to spend a lot upgrading a deck when you could pay less for just buying a better one.

Treat yourself to the low output Hanna and a reasonable cost phono and enjoy the sound before trying anything else.

If you don’t have a phono then Rega make a decent cost mc phono which can be bought at a good price and easily moved on if you wish to upgrade.

Mel

I'm Adrian.

I agree with a couple of others ring Guy at Pure Sound he has a Hana Sl loaner so he may let you try at home. His prices are quite good as well. I borrowed it and was very impressed.

http://puresound.info
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast