+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ever worth claiming on insurance?

I'm Dave.

Default Is it ever worth claiming on insurance?

We went away for nearly a week, and something tripped one of our consumer units. Consequence: a freezer full of suspect food.

Is it ever worth claiming? Maybe the food was worth about £100 - though some was bought at a discount. If we claim, perhaps the premiums will go up so that over a year or two we won't be any better off, and there's very possibly an excess which could be more than the value of the damaged food.

I need to decide on this fairly soon, as I'll be wanting to take the bagged up food down to the dump shortly.

I'm not a great fan of insurance companies. They takes yer money, and then try very hard not to give any of it back, even if there's a genuine reason.
    Dave

I'm Dan.

IMO at that price, no... Just take it on the chin
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm Grant.

Happened to me a month or so ago. Freezer full of food gone.. i didnt bother with claim as it would have put my premium up and payout wouldnt have been worth it.
    I will wait til its a biggie
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dominic.

I have had two insurance claims this year which is two more than I have made in my whole life.

The first was a patio door glass which we found mysteriously shattered after a day out. It wasn't cheap to replace, but the insurance paid out very promptly.

The second was my missus got shunted in a three car pile up and the insurance company settled the whole business in less than 24 hours with no excess and no increase in premium. Well that's not true as they put the premium up until the other driver's insurance paid up and we were refunded the extra amount.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Having worked in the insurance industry my entire career (almost 35 years - I know, I don’t look old enough! ) I do get a bit grumpy at the “they’ll do everything they can to not pay out” line, Because it’s simply not true in my experience.

What you have to remember is that you’ve entered into a contract, and like most contracts there are conditions both sides must meet. Of course, any insurer would check to make sure you have kept your side of the deal (telling them the truth, etc.) before they will pay out, but once that’s done most companies these days will do their best to sort it out quickly.

But yes, premiums will likely go up if you make a claim - and I personally agree to take it on the chin for £100 - ad you say, there’s probably an excess anyway.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    I have had two insurance claims this year which is two more than I have made in my whole life.

The first was a patio door glass which we found mysteriously shattered after a day out. It wasn't cheap to replace, but the insurance paid out very promptly.

The second was my missus got shunted in a three car pile up and the insurance company settled the whole business in less than 24 hours with no excess and no increase in premium. Well that's not true as they put the premium up until the other driver's insurance paid up and we were refunded the extra amount.
    I invoice an average of £120-150 for replacement of patio door glass, dependant on size. Don't know what your excess is, but when you get next year's premium you should have a rough idea whether it was worth claiming.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Phil.

I almost never claim on insurance , except for homeserve plumbing etc who are a great support.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Having worked in the insurance industry my entire career (almost 35 years - I know, I don’t look old enough! ) I do get a bit grumpy at the “they’ll do everything they can to not pay out” line, Because it’s simply not true in my experience.

What you have to remember is that you’ve entered into a contract, and like most contracts there are conditions both sides must meet. Of course, any insurer would check to make sure you have kept your side of the deal (telling them the truth, etc.) before they will pay out, but once that’s done most companies these days will do their best to sort it out quickly.

But yes, premiums will likely go up if you make a claim - and I personally agree to take it on the chin for £100 - and you say, there’s probably an excess anyway.
    We have had a few “good” results from insurances over a period of about forty years. I agree there’s a contract, but perhaps that’s where the problem as I see it lies.

Apart from the insurance company wanting to write off what for me was at the time (and still is now) a perfectly usable car (apart from the theft induced damage), the replacement cars offered to tide us over were in no way comparable, which is why I had the car repaired. Probably our circumstances at the time were more unusual, but the insurance company did not appear to consider those, nor have any flexibility in discussing a way forward.

One could argue that if we’d paid more for the insurance initially we’d have got better service. Sadly though this is hard to check. Some firms may play fair, and provide a first class service for higher premiums, but others may simply take the extra money and still only provide (the same?) mediocre service. Most of us only really find out how good an insurance company is when an incident occurs.
    Dave

I'm Mike.

I've claimed twice - ever
    Monster tree falling on the house. Rather a lot of damage from circa 5' trunk and all the branches
    Burst pipes the following winter as the repairs to above exposed a pipe !
    Even more expensive

Broken pane in double glazed door £100 odd not worth it.
    Bonus was getting the guys to replace a unit that was fogging, get two doors and two windows opening and closing properly
    Swallowed the call out and brought the unit prices down as well as making life better
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    We went away for nearly a week, and something tripped one of our consumer units. Consequence: a freezer full of suspect food.

Is it ever worth claiming? Maybe the food was worth about £100 - though some was bought at a discount. If we claim, perhaps the premiums will go up so that over a year or two we won't be any better off, and there's very possibly an excess which could be more than the value of the damaged food.

I need to decide on this fairly soon, as I'll be wanting to take the bagged up food down to the dump shortly.

I'm not a great fan of insurance companies. They takes yer money, and then try very hard not to give any of it back, even if there's a genuine reason.
    North of Inverness? Probably didn't thaw out fully anyway!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast