+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stoke

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My neighbourhood in 1933. All the chimneys and bottle ovens you can see (except for two) are now gone, as are almost all the factory buildings.

My street is the row facing the camera, extreme bottom left. Although my actual house is off to the left just outside the shot. Apart from parked cars the street has not changed at all.

And the tarmac, don't forget the tarmac. I expect that like in Preston, Stoke council will have just tarmacced straight onto the cobbles, not knowing that one day they will have real value.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Do you think the streets are still cobbled in that photo? I've wondered that myself but the resolution isn't high enough to zoom in that far. Motor vehicles were pretty common by 1933 so they might have re-surfaced them by that time. Or most of them anyway.

I've checked when they have dug up the road and it does seem they did remove the cobbles before putting down the new surface except for a couple of lines of them next to the gutters which are still on view.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

doesnt look cobbled. it actually looks quite recently done.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I do remember streets in Preston town centre being cobbled back on the sixties, and I'm guessing that's about when the tarmaccing started. I don't know for sure that all the cobbles are still under there, but I have on occasion seen, where the tarmac has broken up badly (as in pot holes) cobbles visible underneath.

I'm not even sure cobbles is the right name for them, maybe granite 'sets' is the correct term. There are a few streets in Preston that still have them. Much more hardwearing than tarmac, but death-on-a-stick for motorbikes in winter.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

I remember that there were still some cobbled streets in Liverpool back in the 1970s, but not many.

Most of the alleys here still have the original cobbles and manhole covers, the covers are quite elaborate.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Wellington Street in Preston. Residents are kicking off about the tarmac repairs, but I think they look spiffing, and I'll be saying so next month when I'm there fitting a new door for someone.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

If they're anything like the tarmac repairs here they'll have disintegrated in 6 months so the residents have got nothing to worry about.

Why can't they just stick in some new cobbles anyway? It's just some stones. You can pick stone up practically anywhere, and I could lay those patches on my own in a couple of hours.

And then it's done for the next fifty years or so.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Cobbles are still readily available but at massively inflated prices, due to high demand in Alderley Edge, where footballers like to have them surrounding their genuine Victorian gas streetlamps converted to run on solar.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Cobbles are
    Called 'setts' in the trade. I've laid and re-laid more than my share in the past. They would generally only be used new these days for aesthetic reasons. They are very durable though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Called 'setts' in the trade. I've laid and re-laid more than my share in the past. They would generally only be used new these days for aesthetic reasons. They are very durable though.
    I bet that was tough work for your back and knees. Yes I thought the word might have been setts, though I had miss-spelled it (one 't'). Are they always granite (which is what they look like)?

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast