+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: suggested finish for mahogany plinth

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Another great polishing agent is Rottenstone, which sounds repulsive, but actually works great. It is extremely fine pumice-type material. Use it with a light oil for final polishing -- works exceedingly well.
    Yes, I've used fine pumice as an abrasive for french polishing - I agree it's good stuff.
    As for wax, have you tried a fine furniture-grade beeswax? I find that it cures to a very dry, hard finish, not at all sticky or tacky. I use a product from the UK -- can't recall the brand but can look for you if you like.
    The only wax I've had much experience with was beeswax. Perhaps I should persevere with it and find out how to get the best from it.

I'm Grant.

Nathan "nuff" did a heybrook in solid wood and then danished it... looked a million dollars.. he might still have pics of it and info on how he applied it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Nathan "nuff" did a heybrook in solid wood and then danished it... looked a million dollars.. he might still have pics of it and info on how he applied it
    I remeber seeing that, Grant. It did look great. I've gone back to try and find it and the pictures are no longer there. Curse you PhotoBucket!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    our geoff uses satin a lot and this is kinda how it looks

stays light and fairly flat
    I also did these KEFs with Rustins Satin Varnish, followed by a waxing.

I'm Svend.

Andrew -- perhaps it depends what the wax is being applied over? If a partially-cured oil finish, or say, lemon oil which never seems to cure, or a silicone furniture "polish" (vile stuff), then I could see beeswax causing problems. But it should be fine over lacquer, varnish, shellac, or fully cured Danish oil. Worth looking into...

Phil -- we want pictures! Do post some before and after pics and show us how it turns out.

BTW, if you go with oil, then you should probably buff out the first coat after its cured to remove any wood hairs and such. Wait a day to cure, then use 0000 steel wool.

Good luck with this! Sounds like a great project.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I also did these KEFs with Rustins Satin Varnish, followed by a waxing.

They look great but i'm terrified of using varnish and leaving brush marks everywhere. I feel my skill level is much better suited to a cloth application!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    They look great but i'm terrified of using varnish and leaving brush marks everywhere
    I don't use a brush. It's water based varnish and I apply it with a pad of damp household wipes. Very easy and no streaks. A little practise on spare wood will work wonders too.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't use a brush. It's water based varnish and I apply it with a pad of damp household wipes. Very easy and no streaks. A little practise on spare wood will work wonders too.
    Interesting option -- do you have any issues with it raising the grain, being water based? Needs sanding between coats?

I'm Grant.

yeah i use a cotton filled swab for lots of these jobs like shellac. fill a lint free cloth with cotton wool and it loads up liquid in the cotton and squeeze gently as you apply. its the right way actually and using the pad of wipes is very similar, although not tried it... but will now
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Interesting option -- do you have any issues with it raising the grain, being water based? Needs sanding between coats?
    i raise it with water and let it dry. then use old fine paper to just get the rise off and no more. it then shouldnt rise again much
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast