+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 512 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Aye, now you just take it intravenously - saves on glasses!

Bazza, I've not had the Margaux yet, but will do today with Sunday lunch. It should wash down nicely some local Welsh lamb cutlets, marinated in olive oil, garlic, rosemary and lemon, then grilled to perfection and served with whatever fresh vegetables Del decides to make!

Nice idea on the Cerestin La Lande. However, at the moment, we're clearing room on the wine racks for our forthcoming trip to France and Italy, where the car will be heaving on the way back with vino, so bad timing, muchacho...

Ask me that question again nearer Christmas, and if you've found something nice, we'll go halfers on a case!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Barry, we had the Margaux yesterday - very nice indeed... Typical of the breed: a very classy slurp!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Barry, we had the Margaux yesterday - very nice indeed... Typical of the breed: a very classy slurp!

Marco.
    Glad you enjoyed it Marco. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with my (last) bottle. Very little nose, despite being opened and decanted an hour before drinking.

It was a 2007 and "favours early drinking - but will respond well to a few years cellaring". Perhaps six years was a bit too long.

See what I can come up with for the AoS show. (By the way when are we getting confirmation of the venue - I want to book a room.)

ATB
    Barry

To celebrate both the return of the ‘New Look’ Forum and the start of summer, you might be interested in a rather tasty Chablis:

2010 Chablis Premier Cru, Domaine Brocard.

(Sorry, can’t find an image for the label)

Chardonnay grape. 12.5% ABV Bottled by Domaines Brocard.

“… offers a palate of mouth-watering citrus fruit and minerality underpinned by a long dry finish.”

Normally sells for £14.99 a bottle. On offer in the Co-op at £12.99 a bottle.
    Barry

Excellent, Barry - will check that out!

Btw, I've deleted your thread, showing the above, in Abstract Chat. As you've now realised yourself, here is where it should've been posted

Marco.
    Main System

Here's one to look out for (and possibly lay down):

2011 Château Constance, Corbières vieilles vignes

Picture rough, rugged, mountainous Corbières where wild boar outnumber people and ravens circle the craggy peaks. Wine-wise, its range of microclimates give vine growers plenty to play with and make it one of the few places where the Carignan grape can really shine. When yields are kept low, this characterful variety adds bags of colour and a savoury depth to the flavours of its fruitier fellow grapes, such as the raspberry rich Grenache. Consultant winemaker at the property is Saint Emilion trained Claude Gros, who really knows how to make the most of the 'vieilles vignes' grapes. Dark, smoky berry fruit enhanced by notes of the surrounding garrigue, this rich, weighty red makes an ideal match with lamb, a robust cassoulet or duck.”

Carignan and Grenache grape 13.5% ABV.

Laithwaite’s, £8.99 a bottle.

I’ve half a mind to invest in a case. Decanting is advisable. I’m enjoying this with a beef ragu with Mafaldine pasta, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, red peppers, and spinach.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-06-2013 at 19:14.
    Barry

That looks really good, Barry! If you can hang on until we've polished off some of the stuff Del and I will be bringing back from France and Italy, I'll go halfers with you on a case

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That looks really good, Barry! If you can hang on until we've polished off some of the stuff Del and I will be bringing back from France and Italy, I'll go halfers with you on a case

Marco.
    Will do Marco. I may well order a case before I come up to N. Wales next week (shame you and Del can't join us for the concert), but put aside six bottles for you.
    Barry

That's very kind of you, Barry, and appreciated. Hold onto them, though, until after we've come back from holiday, as right now we're in clearance, rather than collecting mode!

Marco.
    Main System

2008 Pouilly-Fuissé, Vieilles Vignes, Domaine Magnin-Gonon

Well summer is at last here, so whilst watching Wimbledon or lazing around in the garden, why not take advantage of a rather nice little Maconnais white Burgundy?

Lovely citrus notes with just a little mineral – more subdued than you find with say a Pouilly Fumé, which can often taste a bit too much of flint.

13% ABV, available from the Co-op at £7 a bottle.

Last night I enjoyed a bottle with oven baked wild salmon, done in a spinach, cheese and white wine sauce topped with potato and a cheese gratin and served with Jersey Royal potatoes, steamed asparagus tips, broccoli, red pepper and fresh garden peas.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-07-2013 at 20:27.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread