+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burn-in or gradually getting accustomed to the sound?

I'm Svend.

I really couldn't say Alex, whether the Ortofon was broken in before you swapped arms. I'm no expert in these matters. Perhaps others can jump in here? How many hours did it have on it before you moved it to the Jelco?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    I really couldn't say Alex, whether the Ortofon was broken in before you swapped arms. I'm no expert in these matters. Perhaps others can jump in here? How many hours did it have on it before you moved it to the Jelco?
    Not sure, Svend. I'm now starting to think that maybe the biggest improvement is due to the Nagaoka cables, which seem like a real high quality solution. Comparing Jelco to Rega is unfair, because with Jelco I have the luxury of really good cables feeding the signal, while with Rega the cables were pretty crap.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Did you install the Nagaoka cables at the same time you installed the Jelco? If not, and done later, then you're likely not hearing burn in, but rather just the effect of the cable swap.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Did you install the Nagaoka cables at the same time you installed the Jelco? If not, and done later, then you're likely not hearing burn in, but rather just the effect of the cable swap.
    Nagaoka installed at the same time as Jelco. That happened last Wednesday. I've started noticing significant change in sound two-three days ago; the sound started getting less analytical and more 'organic', more integrated, with less delineation between instruments, silky smooth and very warm. Absolutely nothing changed in my system since last Wednesday. Either Nagaoka cables are burning-in, or Jelco is bedding in, or my ears are getting accustomed to the brand new sound I obtained six days ago. Or I'm just merrily imagining things...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Alex, assuming you're not imagining things , then in that case it could be cable burn-in (if that's even a thing...personally I've only noticed very subtle if any difference), but more than likely it's your Ortofon breaking in. It seems to me you only had it on the Rega arm for a very short time before you decided it wasn't working, so unlikely that you gave it the 50 to 100 hours it would need to break in before moving it to the Jelco.

I'm Chris.

Whoever has a brain where things only get better!!!

Surely its equally likely the things can get worse. So predominantly consistent improvements with time must be attributed to other factors such as burn in.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Whoever has a brain where things only get better!!!

Surely its equally likely the things can get worse. So predominantly consistent improvements with time must be attributed to other factors such as burn in.
    I once thought I heard cable burn in but it turned out the speakers were faulty. If there is the possibility of more than one cause for an effect, it's usually the cause that isn't highly improbable or physically impossible. Although in hi-fi people do tend to follow the opposite rule - if you think you hear an effect always attribute it to the least likely explanation or the explanation the people trying to sell it to you give you ( usually the same thing).

My most favourite thing about burn in is products where the vendor offers 30 days return if not satisfied and in the same breath points out that 300 hours of burn in is required before the product will function as specified. So you have to burn it in for 10 hours a day every day then you get just 1 day of listening to it 'as specified' before you have to decide to keep it or send it back.

Or you could pay the vendor extra to burn it in for you on his special 'burn in' machine.

What is it about hi-fi that makes people check their brains in at the door?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In my opinion, all manufacturers of audio electronics should 'burn in' their products before they are sold. That way the purchaser can use the item straight away.

Speakers and cartridges are a different matter however, and one just has to accept that being electromechanical devices the suspension will take a while to bed in.
    Barry

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What is it about hi-fi that makes people check their brains in at the door?
    I was a burn in skeptic, but found it undeniable that my inexpensive D class amp improved over a couple of weeks (a few hours per day, so probably around 15-20 hours). Searching around online later this seemed to be the experience of others also.

I'm no electrical engineer so can't explain why it might be, but it sounded obvious to my ears. I've never experienced it with speaker or IC cables.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In my opinion, all manufacturers of audio electronics should 'burn in' their products before they are sold. That way the purchaser can use the item straight away.

Speakers and cartridges are a different matter however, and one just has to accept that being electromechanical devices the suspension will take a while to bed in.
    Next you'll be wanting car manufacturers to run your car in for you
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast