+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: wam show 2018

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It was in the DiveDeepDog room as you will just have seen. The following is purely my own opinion and is said to promote wider discussion rather than to say any one approach is better, it all depends on ones own tastes, hearing, and I think to a lesser degree what you have already experienced.

Differences were small but at the top level of performance that is the way it ought to be. It might be considered stereotypical but to me the valve Vivant stage sounded more 'organic' than the 'sterile' solid state Paradise. It is difficult to describe very minor differences, the Paradise is a stunning stage.
    I also thought the Vivant had more depth and 'air' to the presentation.

Amazing sound but as always YMMV.
    Hmm.. yes, interesting, - particularly in the speaker choice department. Compared to pretty much every other transistor phonostage I have tried the paradise has sounded significantly less dry and mechanical. However, I wouldn't describe any of the valve stages I have used as organic either (though I've never tried your 'Vivant' stage). Then again, I don't use valve amplification or the kind of speakers often found in such systems.
    Account Deleted

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I think he said there aren't many of them about because they were usurped at the time by a more popular model.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Solid bronze platter and unobtainable Papst motor probably didn't help production? 5 spring suspension much more balanced than a Linn. Steve's had No.50 on the big power supply, not sure how many were done.

Best sounding belt drive at I've had at home

I'm brian.

Mark, did you make that plinth for Mick?

I sold him my Garrard 301 about a year ago, and he said then that he hoped to get you to make a plinth for him.

If so, its great to see it again, and looking so great. What a blingy arm. What is it?

Mick, if you read this.... great job. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and gives you what you hope for.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Hmm.. yes, interesting, - particularly in the speaker choice department. Compared to pretty much every other transistor phonostage I have tried the paradise has sounded significantly less dry and mechanical. However, I wouldn't describe any of the valve stages I have used as organic either (though I've never tried your 'Vivant' stage). Then again, I don't use valve amplification or the kind of speakers often found in such systems.
    I think that you either intrinsically *get* and like the influence of the 'valve factor', when done well, or you don't. For me, both transistors and valves have their distinct sonic advantages, which when used in a context that optimises those advantages, can clearly be heard.

After that, it's all down to personal preference, and often the kind of music you listen to most.

For me, valves (done well) and vinyl are a match made in heaven, which is why I'd always use a quality valve phono stage. I also prefer how good head amps [and some SUTs], used in conjunction with a quality valve MM stage, amplify and process the music signal from a good LOMC cartridge, in comparison with that provided by standalone MC stages.

However, I've heard the Paradise on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it immensely

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm DAVID.

Regretfully I was snowed in and missed this tenth show after demoing at most of previous. Boo Woo. I just read this thread and must comment that it is the most interesting of the three available to me and shows some strongly expressed views ( Some of my kit did make it to Spiders Room ( the one with three tables) through earlier arrangements. His speakers are DIY and love the big SET design amp and yes his bungalow glows with vibe! He's a rock musician and the beat /rhythm is a forte. To pull so many customers in appalling weather suggests that next year will need early booking. Perhaps a modded 1200 needs AirPlay?
    My audible range 20hz to 10Khz Yours?

I'm Geoff.

All audio equipment can be very well designed or not. There are excellent valve products and superb solid state products, the latter being my preference. The only arbiter is your own hearing.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    All audio equipment can be very well designed or not. There are excellent valve products and superb solid state products, the latter being my preference. The only arbiter is your own hearing.
    I agree. However, ultimately, we are all governed by our relevant levels of experience...

Not everyone will have heard both SS and valves done *really* well, in an optimal context. Therefore in that respect, the efficacy of your own hearing, as an arbiter for determining which is better, or more preferable, will always be governed by said level of experience.

The problem with forming a conclusive opinion on valve equipment, is that more often than not it's done sub-optimally, or merely adequately well, rather than *really* well, whereas the efficacy of solid-state equipment is generally much more consistent.

Therefore, on that basis, it's not difficult to understand why SS equipment is the option that's often preferred

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

True Marco. However, budgets often only allow us to hear products at a certain level. At that level, it's worth hearing a range of equipment to determine our preference, in our own context which may be far from optimal.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Deleted.

I’ve listened to a prototype hybrid valve stage that Jez built and thought that very good, but I haven’t yet heard any full valve stages I could personally enjoy*. I’ve heard various valve amps I have liked - the current Trilogy stuff for example.

* Actually, that’s not true - the Tron Convergence was very good.
    Account Deleted

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Mark, did you make that plinth for Mick?

I sold him my Garrard 301 about a year ago, and he said then that he hoped to get you to make a plinth for him.

If so, its great to see it again, and looking so great. What a blingy arm. What is it?

Mick, if you read this.... great job. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and gives you what you hope for.
    Brian, yes, your old 301, I made the plinth. The arm's Morch DP6 with XTC counterweight, Koetsu Rosewood Sig cart.

Its a good combination, I reckon the Morch would run my Aro close, the Koetsu's the best cart I've heard at home .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast