+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Max.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

-Troels Gravensen... there is a bit of a barrier to entry with his designs: the woodwork tends to be complex and the crossovers are pricy. I’m reluctant to go along without having heard such a design, as the built cost is comparable to good used speakers, or even new ones, and resale values of diy products rarely meet costs.

-I will aim to demo some wharfedales but I’m surprised that this speaker works for you in such a modestly sized room.

-Electrostats - I have thought of those but never heard them. Must audition. The size of most models puts me off though. Do electrostats wear/decay over time? I mean, those quads are not exactly new...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by maximax View Post
    Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Electrostats - I have thought of those but never heard them. Must audition. The size of most models puts me off though.

Do electrostats wear/decay over time? I mean, those quads are not exactly new...
    Virtually all electrostatic speakers have a dipole polar pattern, which means almost as much sound radiates from the rear as it does from the front. Thus dipole speakers need to positioned about 2m from a rear wall. That, coupled with the large radiating surface area, means they are not especially room friendly.

Quad 57 electrostatic speakers are remarkably reliable. The power supply will use components that can be 50 or 60 years old, which means that the polarising voltage level can fall with time, reducing sensitivity. Other problems can occur if the protective covering plastic splits (either through rough handling or continual exposure to sunlight), allowing dust to accumulate on the stators which will affect performance. Otherwise they 'wear' very well - I've had mine for over 45 years without problems.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread