+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Class D

I'm Rob.

Googling the Nuprime STA-09 does not seem to reveal which ClassD chipset it uses. I found an internal pic and the board looks like it could be an IRS2092 board. Anyone know?

My next amp is a Sure version of the IRS2092 (250w into 4 Ohms) and has a switch on the board to bridge it. I now have the transformer for this and I will report back. The board is not dissimilar to the Nuprime board, although the inductors on the Nuprime board are different.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    a really good valve amp does music better, as perhaps do some of the higher-powered Class A solid state offerings from Nelson Pass and those working in a similar vein.
    Funnily enough, I have a Nirrvana Electronic Works (N.E.W.) A60.1 winging its way to me. It's a 60W dual mono Nelson Pass design. Looking forward to it.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm peter.

hi i have just bought a class D amp off here , which has turned out to far better than the MF M6500 i owned before , it is a lot more clear and tight bass, it is worm sounding , can be very fast to listern to with rock , the module being a Mpro2, which i believe you cannot buy unless you are a OEM ,the only problem is the out put of 800watt pc , into 4ohms so i have to watch how loud it is played,
    the Module is the same as in the Gato 400s,(nearly 4K ) but set up just as a power amp ,the sound is not like any other class D amp i have listerned too, it is not bright at all, it is great at vocals ,sound stage is fantastic , with a distortion of .003 and the pre amp having a distortion of .005 the michell orca pre has turned out to be a good match for the power amp ,

I'm Rob.

It's a shame that Pascal do not reveal the make of the chips used in these amps. I have had great results lately with IRS2092 based Class D amps....however it is anyone's guess as to what powers the Mpro2.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm peter.

Hi gato alter the Module , but as far as i can see on the gato site not much is done to Mpro-2 just add the pre amp and the usb , wireless stuff , which i did not need , the Michell Pre amp is perfect for the power , the gain on the power being slightly lower then the pre , i am about 40 lps into listerning to this amp , i am well impressed, less distortion than the class A amp , with less electric used to listern to the hifi , which will never need the 800watt pc , into the quad z4 , Pascal were very helpful , to a point but no real advice as there is a point on the board that a fan can be fitted to keep any heat away ,
    they refused to help in any way with this, just saying the do not supply to the DIY market , and were /who did i buy the module off , and that is were it was ended, i did get another diagram which i did not under stand , so i just put that to one side, the module is $350 if you are a oem, so why does it cost £4k for a class d amp ?
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 20-05-2018 at 18:57.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I have one too and it's very good in lots of ways. I also briefly owned a NuPrime STA9 (2 x200w though it can be monoblocked) which I thought was excellent for the money (about £900 IIRC) and I really would love to try out a monoblocked pair of them sometime with the Tannoys - my suspicion is this would be very impressive indeed, although a single amp fell short of really providing the deep emotional connection I provided by a good push-pull valve amp like a Radford STA25 or 100, EAR 816, or Leben CS-1000P, all of which I've had driving my Tannoys at some stage.
    Hi Tom, just catching up with this thread ... I'm interested in trying Class D with my Tannoy HPD's but am wondering what you thought of the NuPrime in terms of bass grip?
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    It's a shame that Pascal do not reveal the make of the chips used in these amps. I have had great results lately with IRS2092 based Class D amps....however it is anyone's guess as to what powers the Mpro2.
    I'm still absolutely loving my IRS2092 based Class D Amp, 6 months later, which is unheard of for me, being a bit of a box swapper
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Hi Tom, just catching up with this thread ... I'm interested in trying Class D with my Tannoy HPD's but am wondering what you thought of the NuPrime in terms of bass grip?
    Plenty of bass grip - no issue there. Just a bit of a lack of emotional connection. I'm told the ST10 is an improvement, I've twice tried to buy one of these second hand from Norway (there's a dealer up there) but for whatever reason they have been reluctant to ship. I'd stop short of recommending a single STA9 vs a valve amp of comparable price, though I have heard reports it all kicks up a notch if you monoblock them (that comes to about the same price as a single ST10 though so it getting away from being a 'cheap' option, you'd get a fully serviced Radford STA25 for that).

I'm David.

I tried my Nord Class D One Up amp with Westlower's 12ins Tannoys and we all thought it was rather good. IMO it sounded 'better' at the top and bottom of the frequency range than a Radford STA25. However, the same amp sounds much less impressive with my Tannoy Canterburys......so even Class D with its promise of extreme flexibility is system /speaker dependent. Interestingly, the Nord is rated at 700watts into 4ohms but in practice sounds no louder than my 50 watt 845 mono blocks........
    David

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by AD Audio View Post
    I tried my Nord Class D One Up amp with Westlower's 12ins Tannoys and we all thought it was rather good. IMO it sounded 'better' at the top and bottom of the frequency range than a Radford STA25. However, the same amp sounds much less impressive with my Tannoy Canterburys......so even Class D with its promise of extreme flexibility is system /speaker dependent. Interestingly, the Nord is rated at 700watts into 4ohms but in practice sounds no louder than my 50 watt 845 mono blocks........
    David
    Class D has no headroom vs a Class A or A/B. Your 50W 845 will sound louder than a typical 50W solidstate amp. 700 Class D watts sound like a lot (it is) but they are probably more equivalent to nearer 300W vs a typical solidstate amp. That's my take on FWIW.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast