+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - CD problem

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Adrian

Not sure how Sony originally set up your model of Sony from CD/Laser sled point of view, but my experience with a Meridian 508 player may help to explain your issues.

The Meridian 506 and 508 both use a particular and very good Philips CD mechanism, this when built new was greased with a grease designed for plastics, the laser drive mechanism and worm wheel both being plastic. It is crucial that this mechanism moves freely so the laser can position and track accurately, if not the CD player will do all sorts of things and eventually not play at all and complain of no CD in the unit. All Meridian CD players eventually fail due to the same issue, the grease that Philips used goes hard over the years, and it can be so bad that the mechanism can get damaged, but not always. So the solution is very carefully clean it removing all old grease and then apply plastic grease that does not go hard, if this does not work then it is a new sled and laser I am afraid.

So it maybe that your CD mechanism is suffering from the same problem if Sony were guilty of using the same type of grease when it was made. I would carefully get to the sled determine if you can easily remove it from the unit so you can clean and re-grease, or if it has to be done in situ. I would check online to see if you can find any others who have had similar issues with this unit first, there is usually something out then, have you searched on Youtube for Sony CD player issues?

I hope that helps a bit.

Adrian
    Hi, yes but info is sketchy and suggests the same solution. However, the Sony laser assembly only runs on one rail, the other travels in a magnetic channel which is impossible to access. Will check it over again.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Adrian.

Also, the laser housing never moves easily. To reposition it isnt easy as it doesn't want to travel and needs a firm but gentle nudge to get it to travel back to where it should be.

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

OK. So it is definately mechanical. There are 2 parts to the guide rail, a rod which is spotless and oiled and then a second plastic arm that rides in slot. This is difficult to access without disassembling the entire drive. I have taken the drive as a unit out and there is an obstruction which can only be to do with the plastic arm/slot, you can hear it scraping as you try to move the laser assembly at the sticking point. I jiggled it and slid it repeatedly for a bit then tried. It accessed track 14 but same problem at 30 seconds in. I repeated the process and it has been playing track 14 ok and is on repeat.

I think I need to open up and check that hard to reach slot, it's the only logical cause.

Heres some scary pics of the drive unit out - I hate messing with this crap.

Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    OK. So it is definately mechanical. There are 2 parts to the guide rail, a rod which is spotless and oiled and then a second plastic arm that rides in slot. This is difficult to access without disassembling the entire drive. I have taken the drive as a unit out and there is an obstruction which can only be to do with the plastic arm/slot, you can hear it scraping as you try to move the laser assembly at the sticking point. I jiggled it and slid it repeatedly for a bit then tried. It accessed track 14 but same problem at 30 seconds in. I repeated the process and it has been playing track 14 ok and is on repeat.

I think I need to open up and check that hard to reach slot, it's the only logical cause.

Heres some scary pics of the drive unit out - I hate messing with this crap.

Adey

I had a look online and it looks as if parts for it are like hens teeth and I bet if you can find a replacement sled it will be pricey. So take your time and carefully take it apart, using no force, if you get stuck then best to leave it for a bit and come back after a think. I hope you sort it OK. Good luck.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    So take your time and carefully take it apart, using no force, if you get stuck then best to leave it for a bit and come back after a think.
    Great words of wisdom there from Adrian.

I was fighting yesterday with an AVI Lab series player and after fitting a new laser into it I couldn't get the blessed lid to fit properly and every time I turned it over the mechanism dropped off it's mounting.

A big hot cup of coffee and smoked a fag away from it, helped with some thinking time to sort the problem.

A drop of superglue on the spacers to fix to the chassis, another drop on the bolts to the transport and it moved no more when turned upside down
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Adrian.

Well, after moving the laser assembly repeatedly backwards and forwards over the sticky point it has been on shuffle play for the last 4 hours without a problem. Let's just hope that after screwing it back together (the drive unit and lid) it still behaves.

I guess the good news is its not electronics or the laser itself.

Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Well, after moving the laser assembly repeatedly backwards and forwards over the sticky point it has been on shuffle play for the last 4 hours without a problem. Let's just hope that after screwing it back together (the drive unit and lid) it still behaves.

I guess the good news is its not electronics or the laser itself.

Adey

Sounds like a bit of dirt may have got in there and hopefully it is now shifted out the way, fingers crossed.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Robert.

Hows it going Adrian,

How you finding the Sony's presentation ?
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andre.

It will be dirt, ive been there before with my loverly old Sony '552ESD' which was easily the best sounding CD player ive ever owned, never mind the great looks

The symptoms cleared after a service & new Belt but they started coming back after a year, i blamed the large open air vents in the top, but decided i did not need this shit & moved to Files just keeping my 930UK spec CDP for the spare room..

Might be an idea to move it on while its still working ok loike..

I'm Robert.

From an era when kit looked like something.

Love wood sides......
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast