+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daft question?

I'm James.

Default Daft question?

Afternoon all, at the weekend I hooked up my new power amp, Roksan k3, I'm using van damme star quad xlr's. Now I realise RCA inputs have negative/ positive inputs/out puts,do balanced connections? Am I making sense? Ta Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Afternoon all, at the weekend I hooked up my new power amp, Roksan k3, I'm using van damme star quad xlr's. Now I realise RCA inputs have negative/ positive inputs/out puts,do balanced connections? Am I making sense? Ta Jim
    RCAs don’t strictly have positive and negative; they have positive and ground.

Balanced XLR connections have positive, negative and ground.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm James.

Thank you
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

No problem.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Balanced XLR connections have positive, negative and ground.
    It's also why the hot and cold pin configuration doesn't matter, as long as the ground is correct and both cables match. On most XLR configurations pin 2 is positive and pin 3 is negative, but on Japanese equipment pin 3 is positive and pin 2 is negative. As the cables are balanced it matters not as the phase is reversed equally on both channels

Balanced equipment is great (my opinion).

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    It's also why the hot and cold pin configuration doesn't matter, as long as the ground is correct and both cables match. On most XLR configurations pin 2 is positive and pin 3 is negative, but on Japanese equipment pin 3 is positive and pin 2 is negative. As the cables are balanced it matters not as the phase is reversed equally on both channels

Balanced equipment is great (my opinion).
    I getchya

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Also some American equipment uses pin 2 negative, pin 3 positive. Mating equipment with this polarity convention with equipment that uses the opposite convention, will result in a change of absolute phase, which may or may not be audible. (I can't hear the difference when the absolute phase is changed, but some can.)
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread