+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New arrivals: Silvercore 833C monoblocks ... not your typical SET

I'm gone.

Lovely looking amps, Tom.
    How about a photo of the whole system?

Very interesting using EL34 as drivers! - must admit I'd be tempted to try some 6CA7 or KT77, would they work in the circuit OK?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Really weird a post from Justin seems to have disappeared?
    Yeah I deleted it when I realised the question I had asked was answered by the original post.

Been talking to Ked. Might see you in a bit if plans work out.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Lovely looking amps, Tom.
    How about a photo of the whole system?

Very interesting using EL34 as drivers! - must admit I'd be tempted to try some 6CA7 or KT77, would they work in the circuit OK?
    6CA7 is a direct equivalent I think I so should be ok. I asked about 5881 as I have some here but was told EL34 type only which may rule out KT77 - I need to ask.

As luck would have it I’ve just packed up the EAR 912 ... a bulb went (out of four) inthe VU meters and I’ve been told it has to go back for replacement as unit - this was surprising, EAR are very quick and very fairly priced for this sort of thing but still a bit of a pain. I’ll take pics when it’s back though my DAC is also away at the minute for modification.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Been talking to Ked. Might see you in a bit if plans work out.
    Cool look forward to it

I'm Nari.

6CA7 is a direct equivalent I think I so should be ok. I asked about 5881 as I have some here but was told EL34 type only which may rule out KT77 - I need to ask.

As luck would have it I’ve just packed up the EAR 912 ... a bulb went (out of four) inthe VU meters and I’ve been told it has to go back for replacement as unit - this was surprising, EAR are very quick and very fairly priced for this sort of thing but still a bit of a pain. I’ll take pics when it’s back though my DAC is also away at the minute for modification.

Cool look forward to it
    Congratulations on your purchase I am sure they will give many hours of Joy, I know the amps in question pretty well they are a highly musical amp and actually have a good amount of drive. I found the mullard el34 seemed to suit them best being extremely sweet but seemed to give the amp a great sense of body. I might some spare I could try and dig out for you to try out. I owned the mighty Wavac SH-833 many years back in 2005, long story but managed to get a pair in singapore that were preowned, fine amplifier indeed a bit laid back for my system at the time. I sometimes wish I kept on to them but they were a little complex and had some reliability issues. I really liked the RCA 833 valve very spacious sounding the GE had greta midrange but lacked the slam of the RCA. Congratulations once again seeing them made me smile.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase I am sure they will give many hours of Joy, I know the amps in question pretty well they are a highly musical amp and actually have a good amount of drive. I found the mullard el34 seemed to suit them best being extremely sweet but seemed to give the amp a great sense of body. I might some spare I could try and dig out for you to try out. I owned the mighty Wavac SH-833 many years back in 2005, long story but managed to get a pair in singapore that were preowned, fine amplifier indeed a bit laid back for my system at the time. I sometimes wish I kept on to them but they were a little complex and had some reliability issues. I really liked the RCA 833 valve very spacious sounding the GE had greta midrange but lacked the slam of the RCA. Congratulations once again seeing them made me smile.
    Thanks Nari that's appreciated I must say it was quite a moment when I first heard them, it really was a surprise.

The Wavac must have been quite something! I've only seen pics but the PSUs are enormous.

I'm Nari.

Thanks Nari that's appreciated I must say it was quite a moment when I first heard them, it really was a surprise.

The Wavac must have been quite something! I've only seen pics but the PSUs are enormous.
    They are a great amp for the money for sure sound for pound they offer alot, the first generation mullards are best with the metal collor around the base, the brown base ones were a bit lacked bass weight and made the amps a bit too soft for my liking. The wavacs were great in many regards I still remember the midrange being magical, I could never get on with the bass overall and on some material they did not integrate so well. I still wish I had them now, as am sure I could have got them to work if i tried harder. I actually got the Gakuoh to replace them that suited my system at the time. I have to always try and restrict myself as I always end up with multiple amps, pre amps and turntables as each bit of kit has its plus and minuses nothing is perfect but have to always choose the bit of kit that makes you smile at the end of the day.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Don.

Great write up...enjoyed that...
    Not sure about cooling fan at base, unless the contact base below main valve is susceptible to over heating? i say that cos, as we all know, heat rises, and by the looks of things..there are no air vents at the top of that perspex cage...just a few mil below base...maybe that provides a constant temp throughout the valve..push air up then forcing it through lower vents...I knew that Chianti was dodgy...????

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Great write up...enjoyed that...
    Not sure about cooling fan at base, unless the contact base below main valve is susceptible to over heating? i say that cos, as we all know, heat rises, and by the looks of things..there are no air vents at the top of that perspex cage...just a few mil below base...maybe that provides a constant temp throughout the valve..push air up then forcing it through lower vents...I knew that Chianti was dodgy...????
    Two things really first the big tube really doesn’t get hot if you think it’s consuming/dissipating 100w that’s the same as the old brightest rated lightbulb - and it’s a huge area to dissipate from. Second the cage is open at the back.

In all my trawling through the German audio web I didn’t find a single report of overheating - which is about what I’d expect from my own experience. My suspicion is that it’s a bit of belt and braces from their German creator.

I'm Don.

Second the cage is open at the back. .

I'm julian.

Wow, that really is a statement valve ...not envious....at all
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123