+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend a Freeview recorder?

I'm inactive.

Default Anyone recommend a Freeview recorder?

Thinking of ditching Virgin Tivo and currently scouting around for a Freeview recorder to attach to a DB capable roof aerial.
    Not really wanting anything too fancy and must have a user friendly interface - definitely under £200. HD not essential.

Come across a few from Humax and a couple of Panasonics that get reasonable reviews and fit the bill but wondered if anyone has experience of any they would be willing to share.

I'm inactive.

I guess no one is using one of these then ....

Now moot as I hit the button for a refurbed Panasonic DMR-HWT250 this evening (£139 from Panasonic UK on eBay)

Plan is to switch off the Tivo box and trial this over the Xmas period.
    If we get on with it OK then we cancel the TV and phone from Virgin and just keep their broadband - total saving = £360 p.a. ... which is nice

Basically we realised that we never use the landline and mostly watch via catch-up, Netflix, etc which is all available direct via the TV, so the rest was superfluous.

I'm Dave.

Had Humax for years and always with small, niggling problems. When the latest Humax went wrong, a few months ago, we got a Panasonic as the TV is Panasonic. Different class altogether. The picture is far, far better and has many adjustments you can do to get it just the way you want. It is also much easier to use than the Humax.

I'm Gary.

Used to love my Topfield box, nit sure if thet are still kicking about.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Had Humax for years and always with small, niggling problems. When the latest Humax went wrong, a few months ago, we got a Panasonic as the TV is Panasonic. Different class altogether. The picture is far, far better and has many adjustments you can do to get it just the way you want. It is also much easier to use than the Humax.
    Did read some similar complaints from users about Humax units which put me off a bit; good to hear that Panasonic get a thumbs up - particularly as mine arrives tomorrow

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Used to love my Topfield box, nit sure if thet are still kicking about.

Didn't come across the brand in my searches - although there is a Topfield satellite box on Amazon so seems they are still in business...

I'm inactive.

Oops - just discovered I can record directly from the TV onto a USB drive .. including scheduling recordings from the programme guide in advance. Nothing mentioned in the guide Samsung included in the package and didn't need it while using the Tivo box so never really gave it a thought.

I guess that why they call it a 'smart' TV - whoda thunk

The interface is decidedly clunky though and limited to one channel at a time so will probably end up keeping the box (which also has other great features).

I'm Rob.

I've always been happy with Humax PVRs. We've had about three now. I find them easy to use.
    Rob.