+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just a little help please...

I'm Paul.

I'd simply re-tin the "blob" to clean it up then solder the thin wire back into place.

I'm george.

I have the(now) bare wire coming from the tweeter....but no sound when I touch it to the soldered part...maybe I need to remove the solder...how?...Im afraid to touch it with a hot soldering iron...or is it just the wire I need to be careful with?

I'm george.

Ok, so far so good,and as always,many thanks....I haven't gone anywhere near it with a hot soldering iron,but when I touch the connector with the wire,in certain places,the tweeter is working...phew! Ive just managed to shave some old solder off with a scalpel...if I can get enough off I can wrap the very thin wire around it and when I get sound again,Ill give it the tiniest touch with solder and that should hold it...is that ok? any last bits of advice/warning?

I'm James.

Once you've refreshed the solder joint it will be fine... As you say, for now you can just abrade the solder & secure the wire on it with some blutak or something.

I'm Steve.

Rule with solder is to get all parts super clean and bright. All traces of old gunk there needs to be removed.
    A proper aluminium heat sink clip thingy is much better than a croc clip. A fine tip on the iron and as already said low melt tin/lead solder, be quick and away you go... Sorted.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Geoff.

Don't worry about refitting the sleeve, you may cause harm if you try. Once you've managed the solder connection, just very gently paint the remaining exposed wire with clear laqueur or nail varnish. That'll protect it. Don't get any on the diaphragm though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm george.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Guys...so far so good...Ive been shaving solder off the connector with a scalpel,but it looks like it could be easier to put the hot iron on it to melt the solder off and then gently wrap the wire around it when its cool...I know getting the wire hot isn't good,but what about the connector? (one on the left) can I put the iron on it to melt the solder off without causing any damage? Its very soft...then when the wire is connected and the tweeter working I can just quickly pop a tiny bit of solder over it... any thoughts?

I'm Geoff.

You need a small fine tipped iron. Use it only when it has reached full heat and very briefly, also as has been mentioned, use low melting point solder. I believe it's almost impossible to buy lead based solder now. I'm sure AOS members have some tucked away though. If you are stuck for finding some, I can send you a length of suitable fine solder.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm george.

Thanks Geoff,
    So touching the connector very quickly with the hot iron to quickly melt the solder off it is ok? ....thanks for the offer of the solder,but I found some that melts like butter and its quite old so thats probably the one I need....its many years since I used/did any soldering and my eyes aren't what they used to be,but I have those magnifying glasses,and tweezers so as you can read Im being soooo careful,but more worried about the tiny wire....its just one strand!

I'm Geoff.

Yes, just touch the terminal/connector briefly with the iron tip and the solder should melt. I think you may use too much heat if you try to remove the piece of old wire and the old solder from the terminal. Don't bother, just solder to what is there, It'll do no harm to leave it and as long as you achieve a new soldered joint to the lead out wire from the coil/diaphragm edge that's all you need worry about.

To clean the fine wire, I'd gently try and scrape it all round with the tip of a small sharp craft knife. If you use sandpaper you may pull on the wire and cause damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast