+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

I'm Andy.

Default Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

Sometimes you read a thread and it gets you thinking.....

Macca and Marco's latest visit to Cooky did this with me. I reckon lots of us would like to try something with a massive sound. Trouble is, that usually means 12" or larger drivers and big cabinets. These don't usually come cheap.

I was therefore wondering if there are any affordable suggestions for dipping your toe in the waters of the sort of scale you can get with big JBL or Tannoys without spending thousands. Even better if the speaker doesn't need 1kw of power

Or am I just expecting the impossible?

I'm matt.

What do you mean by affordable? There are some Yamaha NS 590 on ebay - buy It now £460. I haven't a clue what they are worth though. Also there are 2 pairs of Heybrook HB3 on ebay but the mids will need refoaming - Not sure of woofer size but It looks big.

Not sure If some JBL speakers are still affordable but I know you used to be able to get some good ones for not much cash. How about vintage Wharfdale? Not sure how good they are though.

I'm gone.

You can sometimes pick up SD Acoustics SD1 speakers for £300 or so.
    Merely 10 inchers I think with cone mids and ribbon tweeters.
    I had a pair (£222 off ebay) and they could certainly move some air as well as being very fine all-rounders. Stupidly good for that sort of money imo.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    You can sometimes pick up SD Acoustics SD1 speakers for £300 or so.
    Merely 10 inchers I think with cone mids and ribbon tweeters.
    I had a pair (£222 off ebay) and they could certainly move some air as well as being very fine all-rounders. Stupidly good for that sort of money imo.
    Heard them a long long time ago. That's exactly the sort of thing I meant. Good shout!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    There are some Yamaha NS 590 on ebay
    They may be nice, but if anything goes wrong, sourcing parts will be nigh on impossible. The bass drivers look as though they may have had new foam cone surrounds fitted.

I'm Geoff.

Two pairs of Celestion Ditton 25's I linked to on ebay earlier.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...540#post968540

They'll give you a huge sound for not much money!

I'm Paul.

Goodmans Magnums might do the job and are available for under £100 usually.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

What do you mean by a big sound? I have owned LS3/5a speakers for 40 years and many think they offer a "big sound" in a small cabinet.

I am still fond of these speakers but realized long ago that they were not big in many respects, especially dynamics.

I recently bought a pair of Martin Logan Motion 2 speakers as part of a "travelling sytem" which when I am not travelling serve as my bedroom speakers. No they do not do deep bass, but I do not want that in a bedroom system. What they do in the extreme is convey the essence of a live performance. Dynamics are awesome, and even at the lower levels that I impose on myself when I am listening to music or watching an action film with "frightening" sound effects in a bedroom late at night!

Geoff

I'm Andy.

I mean the type of sound you get from big JBls Tannoys etc. Realistic levels of bass and dynamics as well as high SPls . I thought that twas clear from the OP.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I mean the type of sound you get from big JBls Tannoys etc. Realistic levels of bass and dynamics as well as high SPls . I thought that twas clear from the OP.
    Sorry, it was not clear to me!

A "big sound" to me does not necessarily mean a weighty bass sound. To me it means big soundstage with realistic dynamics!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast