+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Restored Quad ll Monoblocks

I'm Paul.

Default FS: Restored Quad ll Monoblocks

I have owned these amplifiers since 1985. They were in regular use for twenty years before being retired to very occasional backup use only.
    Both chassis are in original paint finish and in good condition for their age, please see detailed pictures. All original plugs and sockets are in place, with the addition of a single, strategically placed, high quality RCA input socket. I will supply a pair of suitable two pin power plugs in the sale.
    Both amplifiers have recently been carefully rebuilt using a replacement resistor pack supplied by Classic Sounds of Leicester, plus Vishay polyester 0.1uf capacitors and an Elma Silmic capacitor on the choke together with an uprated 5w 180R resistor.
    The valve packs for each amp are:
    Amp 1, two Mazda EF86, two Chelmer Valve Premium KT66, one Harma GZ32
    Amp 2, two Mullard EF86, two Chelmer Valve Premium KT66, one unmarked GZ32
    These amps are sounding sweet and lovely in typical Quad ll fashion and with just a few hours use post rebuild.

£900 plus postage.

I’m willing to hold these until post lockdown if required.

Paul

I'm Paul.

Missing image of second valve set.

Paul

I'm openingabottleofwine.

That takes me back. I have had two sets of the Quad II amps pass through my system at some stage. Both times they were fitted with Chelmer Valve Company KT66 tetrodes.

Good luck with the sale.
    Barry

I'm Greg.

Do these need to be earthed separately from the two-pin mains leads? Wondering about using them with my Nagra preamp.
    Analogue: Thorens TD 124/II - SME M2-9R - Ortofon SPU Wood A - Sculpture A Mini Nano
    Digital: Roon Nucleus - Limetree Network
    Amplifier: Naim NAIT 50
    Speakers: TBC

I'm Grant.

if your using the old 2 pin Bulgin sockets then yes you would need to produce an earth too (i think.).. not actually sure the 2 pin bulgins are legal now. the amps were originally earthed via the quad pre if memory serves.

i would fit 3 pin sockets if i were using them, fitted by an engineer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegamus View Post
    Do these need to be earthed separately from the two-pin mains leads? Wondering about using them with my Nagra preamp.
    The usual simple solution is to use a three core mains lead with the live and neutral connected to the amp’s mains plug and with the earth core taken outside the plug and attached direct to a convenient mounting bolt on the chassis.
    Paul

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if your using the old 2 pin Bulgin sockets then yes you would need to produce an earth too (i think.).. not actually sure the 2 pin bulgins are legal now. the amps were originally earthed via the quad pre if memory serves.

i would fit 3 pin sockets if i were using them, fitted by an engineer.
    Yes, I’d prefer regular IEC sockets too. I’m considering the modern Quad II Classic monoblock reissues partly for their reason.
    Analogue: Thorens TD 124/II - SME M2-9R - Ortofon SPU Wood A - Sculpture A Mini Nano
    Digital: Roon Nucleus - Limetree Network
    Amplifier: Naim NAIT 50
    Speakers: TBC

I'm Paul.

Bump
    Paul

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by paul(555) View Post
    The usual simple solution is to use a three core mains lead with the live and neutral connected to the amp’s mains plug and with the earth core taken outside the plug and attached direct to a convenient mounting bolt on the chassis.
    Since the Quad IIs have already been modified by being fitted with an RCA phono socket for the signal input, I would dispense with the 6 way Jones socket and use the aperture vacated to fit a 3 pin IEC socket (most samples will just fit). The two wires from the Bulgin connector would then be removed and wired to the new IEC socket, with the earth pin of the socket connected directly to the amplifier chassis. Having done that, the Bulgin connector can be removed completely.

You would need to make sure the input loading resistor is transferred from the Jones socket to the RCA phono socket.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread