+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Mike.

1 owner from new and not seen the light of day for a few years, and after the comments here I'm a bit dubious as to what condition the drivers might be in. Cabinets look mint though but I'm sure that's no indication of the condition of the cones or surrounds. If any issue at all I'll walk away as it would be too much hassle having them sent away and fixed and wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, might be better to try and find a perfect pair, but then again most of the decent high gear is always for sale 100's of miles away.

I've already arranged to go see/listen to them this morning but I think I'd have been better asking for photos of the drivers before even leaving the house.

I'm Grant.

You never know mike. Good luck
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Are these the ones mike? https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/t...ers/1268364186

No idea of the surrounds though as no pictures...
    Sorry, missed this post, yeah that's the ones. Pity no driver photos but I think they're worth a look anyway?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You never know mike. Good luck
    Aye that's true enough, still worth a look. Nothing else planned today anyway

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Sorry, missed this post, yeah that's the ones. Pity no driver photos but I think they're worth a look anyway?
    They look very clean.....you never know with the drivers deffo worth a look....
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm John.

1 owner from new and not seen the light of day for a few years, and after the comments here I'm a bit dubious as to what condition the drivers might be in. Cabinets look mint though but I'm sure that's no indication of the condition of the cones or surrounds. If any issue at all I'll walk away as it would be too much hassle having them sent away and fixed and wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, might be better to try and find a perfect pair, but then again most of the decent high gear is always for sale 100's of miles away.

I've already arranged to go see/listen to them this morning but I think I'd have been better asking for photos of the drivers before even leaving the house.
    If the drivers haven't been done they probably will need done. Mine had a few small splits running outwards across the foam but still sounded great. If you got these for £1k and spent £500 on them you'll have a truly great pair of speakers for £1500, still a lot of money but try buying something similar new, probably about £5k. These look to be in great condition too. You can get the recone done at Tannoy Coatbridge as far as I know.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    If the drivers haven't been done they probably will need done. Mine had a few small splits running outwards across the foam but still sounded great. If you got these for £1k and spent £500 on them you'll have a truly great pair of speakers for £1500, still a lot of money but try buying something similar new, probably about £5k. These look to be in great condition too. You can get the recone done at Tannoy Coatbridge as far as I know.
    Thanks, that's good to know about Coatbridge. I'll be haggling don't worry.

I'm John.

I'll be haggling don't worry.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    a truly great pair of speakers for £1500, still a lot of money but try buying something similar new, probably about £5k
    Try doubling that or more. Even the new, small Tannoy Eaton is about five grand now. These Berkeleys are worth some effort, even if they do require a recone. The modern equivalents are monstrously expensive.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

If it was me and they needed new surrounds, I'd be going this route: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TANNOY-f...AAAOSwsE5ZluVI

A bit of practicality and common sense and it's not too difficult a job. I've done it .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast