+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

I didn't think it mattered too much what passive I bought to match the Quad, I was under the impression they added nothing to the sound, and were just neutral and transparent. I got the Khozmo as it appeared to be of high quality, and the TVC could have taken months to crop up, if at all. Is it a good idea to get the Quad serviced? Then I'll know it sounds as it should, or best to hear it first just in case I don't like it? Have to say its all a bit of a leap in the dark, but I was getting impatient with the Naim, really isn't doing much for me. I need to listen at low volumes now as well, as next door have had a kid and they're getting a bit complainy, not their fault of course, there are times I can listen loud, I just have to make sure the pram is gone from our shared hallway so I know they're out. I'd like a new dac as well, to improve the Pioneer, but that's for another thread may'be.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I didn't think it mattered too much what passive I bought to match the Quad, I was under the impression they added nothing to the sound, and were just neutral and transparent. I got the Khozmo as it appeared to be of high quality, and the TVC could have taken months to crop up, if at all. Is it a good idea to get the Quad serviced? Then I'll know it sounds as it should, or best to hear it first just in case I don't like it? Have to say its all a bit of a leap in the dark, but I was getting impatient with the Naim, really isn't doing much for me. I need to listen at low volumes now as well, as next door have had a kid and they're getting a bit complainy, not their fault of course, there are times I can listen loud, I just have to make sure the pram is gone from our shared hallway so I know they're out. I'd like a new dac as well, to improve the Pioneer, but that's for another thread may'be.
    A leap in the dark can sometimes be very rewarding. For instance, you tried the NAK, Naim combi, didn't like it. You won't go there again. Now you have a new combo to try. You are building experience and if you buy diligently, you won't lose money. This means you can box swap for very little money, like I did, until you find the direction you seek.

Servicing, well that's debatable. I wouldn't do anything until I was convinced it was something I may like to keep for a while.

You'll need 100hrs on that Khozmo before judging that too. Let it open up sonically and then judge it.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    A leap in the dark can sometimes be very rewarding. For instance, you tried the NAK, Naim combi, didn't like it. You won't go there again. Now you have a new combo to try. You are building experience and if you buy diligently, you won't lose money. This means you can box swap for very little money, like I did, until you find the direction you seek.

Servicing, well that's debatable. I wouldn't do anything until I was convinced it was something I may like to keep for a while.

You'll need 100hrs on that Khozmo before judging that too. Let it open up sonically and then judge it.
    Thanks Oliver, I was wondering how long I would have to run it in for, I've only ever bought used.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Don't get it serviced for a couple of months -- if you like it I'd post it to Quad if I were you, it won't cost much money but it will take a month probably. Pre amps make quite a difference, the Khozmo has a good reputation.

I'm matt.

If you like it, another option is a Dada service/upgrade kit. They just bring it up to a later spec IIRC. Or maybe save up for a more modern Quad amp? (don't know what they are supposed to be like though)

I'm Julian.

I have a 606-2 & a 306. Run into KEF 104/2s can't say I can tell the difference (old ears?).

The 306 has just returned from Quad after a service (£55 standard service charge plus parts & post; they give a 28 day turnaround but what with Christmas etc. was nearer 2 months).

Both good amps though. Haven't tried the amp since its return as we have just moved house so system not up & running yet. I wonder if the service will show a difference between them. They didn't change any parts so I rather doubt it, in which case might sell the 606.

I am sold on Quad - very under rated generally IMHO; other things are perhaps more 'exciting' but that's not what I seek. Also where in our throw away age can you get most things 28 years old serviced & repaired?
    Julian.

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What happens after 100hrs? How would a passive pre-amp like the Khozmo open up sonically?

I'm jamie.

Especially as it’s already been said, it’s transparent.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Burn in ist mutually exclusive to active or passive components. Cables regularly demonstrate audible changes throughout the first 100hrs.

The Khozmo is no different. At first things can sound a little tight. Maybe even sharp.

After you've given it a good run, it "relaxes".

Why this happens to any bit of kit is not something I have a definitive answer to

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Especially as it’s already been said, it’s transparent.
    It's presentation, not transparency that's affected with the Khozmo.

I've had two, both did exactly the same. Steve's had 3 and his did it too.

I have no idea why it happens but it does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast