+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digging the new Beatles remasters...

Default Digging the new Beatles remasters...

Got the Beatles' box sets on Tuesday...

Full review here:

www.tonepublications.com/music

Flame suit on, gents! Quite a row over at the SH forum. Lot's of wondering if they are any good or not.

We'll have a little more copy in our upcoming issue in a few days, but couldn't stand to sit on this!

Smile

Hi Jeff

Great review! Could you elaborate on how they sound compared to the "original" vinyl please?

Thanks

Dave

PS to see what I did this week, click here

HI Dave:

I compared them to some very low stamper German and UK pressings and the orig. Vinyl still gets the slight edge in terms of tonal richness, but the CD's are damn close.

I think those of you that have the awesome pressings would only want these to load in a music server, or use as a "daily driver" to cut down on wear of your precious discs.

Everyone else that doesn't have the rare pressings, just the average off the shelf stuff (like I've got) could live happily ever after with the CD's. I know I can. All of my mofi's and other pressings etc, are going on Ebay. The CD's (especially the monos) through my Naim 555 are absolute heaven!

Smile

OK, that's it, I'm off to buy them!

Well, maybe not? Amazon don't have them???????

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Cawley; 01-09-2009 at 07:49. Reason: Well, maybe not? Amazon don't have them???????

I'm ChrisB.

Nearly £700 in total? Can't be?

HELP!
    Help, I need a wallet,
    Not just any wallet......

So as I knew would be the case, these recordings, which have paid for themselves more times over than almost any others in the history of recorded music, are priced beyond all reason.....once again. (Witness the crazy and downright greedy pricing of the CD reissues of the Red & Blue singles albums way back).

Ker....ching!! Ker...ching! And thrice ker....ching!
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 01-09-2009 at 08:56. Reason: ......just a little light italicising

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Dave

Just buy the mono set and then some of the later disc's in stereo 'can be bought individually , or just buy the stereo box , ignore that expensive import thats crazy .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Ralph.

In case anyone missed it R2s' THE RECORD PRODUCERS last night was about George Martins' work with the Fab Four. Well worth a listen, even if you think you've heard it all before.
    Last edited by REM; 01-09-2009 at 10:57. Reason: Grammatical pedantry

I'm David.

Trying to raise money for micheal Jackson's gold cofin?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by TONEPUB View Post
    HI Dave:

I compared them to some very low stamper German and UK pressings and the orig. Vinyl still gets the slight edge in terms of tonal richness, but the CD's are damn close.
    Does anyone remember George Martin saying in an interview that the original CD's, certainly of the first four albums, were transferred "straight." What you heard was what is there in reality. Of course, they sounded bass-light because few of us had Tannoy Lockwoods or B&W 801's at home (the two speakers used to mix the abums (Lockwoods) and master the original CD's (801's)...

I suspect the new re-issues have had quite a lot of tinkering around done to re-create that "vinyl warmth" that gets the old rose-tinted glasses steamed up.

Will I buy them regardless? 'Course I will, as soon as I can afford to
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast