+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which speakers for 'modestly' powered Class D Amps....

I'm Russell.

Default Which speakers for 'modestly' powered Class D Amps....

I want something to partner my Lumin M1 streaming amp as most of my listening is digital these days.

I’ve got several speakers I currently use but can’t get to what I feel sounds right to me.

The best I’ve tried is with my Davone Rays but I’m keeping them in another system with my Gato DIA400S.

The Lumin is currently paired with some Harbeth Compact 7’s which I can find a little fatiguing after a while listening to my preferred rock / metal etc.

Transversely my Spendor S5e’s can sound a bit too laid back at times and a little fuzzy to my ears.

My other speakers are some XTZ 99.38 which I feel need more power than the Lumin can offer (60w into 8 ohms, 100w 4 ohm class D) having 10” woofers so was wondering which speakers I should be considering with the Lumin?

The rig is set up in a spare room where I listen with the speakers along the longest wall in a 4m x 3m room so I'm after something that sounds good at fairly relatively modest volume with good Bass extension.

I understand speakers are subjective and ideally I'd get to listen to a few pairs before taking the plunge but was wondering what other members are using in similar circumstances?

Was thinking something like some Klipsch or similar high sensitivity speakers might hit the mark?
    Last edited by Weeman1973; 06-09-2021 at 16:11.

I'm Alan.

I really wouldn't have thought the ZTX at 90dB sensitivity would feel underdriven.
    How long have you listened to the combination?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

Harbeth usually a 'safe' choice, if they sound fatiguing to you I'd guess the problem is not the amp or speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I really wouldn't have thought the ZTX at 90dB sensitivity would feel underdriven.
    How long have you listened to the combination?
    Tried it for a couple of weeks but found my Quad 909 gelled with them better in terms of more oomph from the 10" wooofers.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Harbeth usually a 'safe' choice, if they sound fatiguing to you I'd guess the problem is not the amp or speakers.
    Yes that's what I felt as well but just sometimes after listening to an hour or so of screaming guitars, I find the Harbeth's a little too much in the top end (being fair I find that when tried with different amplification also).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    Yes that's what I felt as well but just sometimes after listening to an hour or so of screaming guitars, I find the Harbeth's a little too much in the top end (being fair I find that when tried with different amplification also).
    Maybe you are driving them into distortion? The are very small speakers. I think that's what I'd be looking to change if I were you, especially for rock/metal. Sell them (which you'll have no bother doing) and get some JBLs.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

One other thing is that I notice as I get older I tend to intersperse my rock diet with mellower stuff. Rare that I'll listen to two heavy rock/metal albums in a row.

I think it's something to so with the testosterone levels dropping with age. I still like to blast it out but in smaller doses.

Don't know your age but if you are over 40 I'd suggest this could be a factor.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Russell.

Genuinely I don't have it loud at all being as the listening room is above the lounge where the wife has TV on and below my two kids bedrooms so they would definitely let me know if it's too loud!

The compact 7's are not that small to be honest at 52cm high and 8" driver - would love some L100's however alas funds don't allow and also not sure the Lumin would drive them also!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    I want something to partner my Lumin M1 streaming amp as most of my listening is digital these days.

I’ve got several speakers I currently use but can’t get to what I feel sounds right to me.

The best I’ve tried is with my Davone Rays but I’m keeping them in another system with my Gato DIA400S.

The Lumin is currently paired with some Harbeth Compact 7’s which I can find a little fatiguing after a while listening to my preferred rock / metal etc.

Transversely my Spendor S5e’s can sound a bit too laid back at times and a little fuzzy to my ears.

My other speakers are some XTZ 99.38 which I feel need more power than the Lumin can offer (60w into 8 ohms, 100w 4 ohm class D) having 10” woofers so was wondering which speakers I should be considering with the Lumin?

The rig is set up in a spare room where I listen with the speakers along the longest wall in a 4m x 3m room so I'm after something that sounds good at fairly relatively modest volume with good Bass extension.

I understand speakers are subjective and ideally I'd get to listen to a few pairs before taking the plunge but was wondering what other fishes are using in similar circumstances?

Was thinking something like some Klipsch or similar high sensitivity speakers might hit the mark?
    Fishes? lol
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Fishes? lol
    Good spot - the wonders of copy and pasting!

Now amended thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast