I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yes, that is the one.
    Have you played it yet?
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Have you played it yet?
    Damn, I knew there was something I was meant to do. Mrs. P having a nap, so I'm playing it now. I like this a lot - as you say, some may think it a bit twee, but at the end of a tough day this is just the ticket. 7 or 8/10 I think
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

For the last couple of weeks there has been a stall at my local car boot selling records, many brand new, including a double album by Public Image Ltd (This is PiL) for 12 quid. But I left it as there were other more tempting choices.

Anyway, yesterday I looked on Amazon to see what information there was, and found they are selling it for £7.99 (free next day delivery)! Anyway it landed yesterday. It might be cack, but for eight quid worth a punt.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I tend to be wary of those sellers. Most of their stock is over-priced or of poor quality. Try to see if they have a copy of a record buyer's price guide in their car - they usually do, and that is usually all they know about their stock. They all know and trade with one another incestuously.

There are exceptions - the best of them are those that do house clearences, though often their stock is not well treated or displayed. The condition of the sleeves is a good indication of the condition of the record itself.

These days I only look for LPs of classical music - the owners have usually treated them well.
    Barry

All the bootsales around here are not running, due to overnight rain.

Can't even cut the grass as that is too wet now. At least the car is clean!
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I tend to be wary of those sellers. Most of their stock is over-priced or of poor quality. Try to see if they have a copy of a record buyer's price guide in their car - they usually do, and that is usually all they know about their stock. They all know and trade with one another incestuously.

There are exceptions - the best of them are those that do house clearences, though often their stock is not well treated or displayed. The condition of the sleeves is a good indication of the condition of the record itself.

These days I only look for LPs of classical music - the owners have usually treated them well.
    Funnily enough I thought of you last week when this bloke was selling a big collection of classical vinyl (seemed to be mostly "Deutsch Gramophone", (don't know if that's a good thing or not) and all the sleeves looked as good as new. You'd have been in your element

T'other system:

A/V:

Hi Steve,

I like DG, though some don't. I'll buy anything that is on the EMI, DG, Decca and Teldec (Telefunken/Decca) labels. Though the cheaper labels such as SAGA, use recordings of old performances, previously issued on more famous such as the above, so shouldn't be dismissed. Also some of the Russian Melodiya recordings are very good (though you have to know how to read Cyrillic to identify the work and composer! ). I'm a little more circumspect with RCA.

All boot-sales around here were rained off, so we did a charity run instead. Bought 20 CDs (some still sealed in their film outer wrapper) - well at 25p each it would have been rude not to.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Never see any bargains in Charity shops up here, they seem to have become more savvy/greedy.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Never see any bargains in Charity shops up here, they seem to have become more savvy/greedy.
    Not enough rich people up north that's why our charity shops are full of tat.

I went in one in London and thought I was in Harrods, prices to match too though mind.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Today's booty was five foreign-language film DVDs. Had a look at some CDs but the seller was asking £1 each.

Martin I think you are right about the content of charity shops and boot sales. Round here they are pretty good, but in London some of them are poor (and expensive).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast