+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silver Interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I was one of those at Mike's place who preferred the copper cables! One thing I've learnt in this hobby is that there are few absolutes and anyone expecting silver to sound automatically better than copper is likely to be disappointed, at least after extended listening; and the same applies to audiophile favourites like Teflon dielectric materials. The real cable sound differences lie in how a cable is physically constructed and (as Anthony says) terminations and connectors; and of course decent quality wire but even then chasing 9s does not necessarily yield better sound and music.
    If you put 5N silver in to neutrik profi's, then no, it won't sound better than a good quality Ofc copper cable into MS audio plugs IME & IMO

The thing nearly everyone misses, is just how important the physical connection Is.

The right material is paramount to the connection and if you haven't paid attention to it, no matter what gear you have, what cable you use or how many 9s it has, you aren't getting the best from it.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I was one of those at Mike's place who preferred the copper cables! One thing I've learnt in this hobby is that there are few absolutes and anyone expecting silver to sound automatically better than copper is likely to be disappointed, at least after extended listening; and the same applies to audiophile favourites like Teflon dielectric materials. The real cable sound differences lie in how a cable is physically constructed and (as Anthony says) terminations and connectors; and of course decent quality wire but even then chasing 9s does not necessarily yield better sound and music.
    Absolutely agree. It can be system dependent and the construction/design of the cable has significant influence on the sound. I make my own pure silver interconnects with teflon dielectric and prefer it to the same construction/design using pure copper wires.

I'm Josie.

I was thinking of making some silver interconnects.. So my question is, which type of plugs are good to start with? Would one also use a silver conductor on the ground? And would you not connect the ground to the opposite end?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Yes, I've heard/read this in the past.

My I/Cs are Ultimate Silver Dream (pure silver) with WBT Ag plugs at each end.

SONDEKKER, I didn't know there was a model above mine; does it have more than 4 cores, or in which way is it supposedly better? B.t.w., the price of the Chord Indigo original wasn't much above the the Artisans at r.r.prices,. Considering that one is a large company with many levels of agency and t'other is a small direct sales cottage industry, I'd say the price difference yo mention isn't much at all. I also used my Chord Signatures as a comparison, but the Indigo is more refined and proved to be a better comparison, but not by much. The Chord Sig. would have been lower than the current Artisan price, I'd think.
    Ah! I see. The addition of the WBT plugs does make a significant difference to the cost of the Artisans. Artisan do offer an even higher priced pure silver interconnect called 'The Nth Degree' which uses eight conductors and numerous other improvements/refinements including Furutech's super expensive 'CF' RCA or XLR connectors. At around £750 for a 1 metre pair they were beyond me when I decided to upgrade. Furthermore, while Artisan say they are the best cables they are able to produce and which they believe will stand comparison against any others, I couldn't find any independent reviews when I was looking to upgrade.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I was thinking of making some silver interconnects.. So my question is, which type of plugs are good to start with? Would one also use a silver conductor on the ground? And would you not connect the ground to the opposite end?
    Josie,

AECO do a pure silver RCA plug for reasonable cost, around £120.

If using silver, And shielding is entirely necessary, there are worse cables than Neotech to start with.

If you don't need shielding, which I don't think is a problem in applications around digital replay, audiophonics have just launched a range of 5N pure silver wire. It needs a Teflon tube to insulate it, but I'd suspect the combination would be very pleasing on the ear. It's single lengths so you'd need 2 per side, or three if you're feeling experimental.

If you want any help, let me know. I will happily advise if necessary.

If you want a set made, let me know. I am very reasonable on price lol.

I'm Mike.

Seems they've doubled up on the silver cores, then, John. Can't think I'd go there either at that price ! I have a mix of 2 x Chords, the Artisan and the T.Q. Black Diamond, using, presumably, their own mix of metals, plus a couple of also-ran I/Cs. Again these T.Q. cables have WBT plugs on. They're all good with my system,; just slightly different in my almost all valve kit.
    Last edited by Mike Reed; 26-09-2019 at 16:15.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Seems they've doubled up on the silver cores, then, John. Can't think I'd go there, either at that price ! I have a mix of 2 x Chords, the Artisan and the T.Q. Black Diamond, using, presumably, their own mix of metals, plus a couple of also-ran I/Cs. Again these T.Q. cables have WBT plugs on. They're all good with my system,; just slightly different in my almost all valve kit.
    And I think that's the important factor Mike. There really isn't any such thing as the 'best' interconnect it all boils down to finding one(s) that suit your system and personal listening preferences. I think it's quite unusual these days to find any competently constructed interconnect that sounds truly awful, you just have to experiment and make your choices accordingly.

I'm Steve.

I'm a Missing Link convert

Hibster_2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've made loads of trial cables and in terms of silver, the more 9's and the bigger the gauge, the better they sound IMO. Best pair I made were 1.3mm conductor, 99.999% purity (£26pm x 4m ) AECO Silver RCA plugs and 4% Silver Solder.

At the time, I much preferred the sound of high purity Copper. I may have to revisit that now as the system has changed massively.
    Did you try a higher percentage content silver solder, rather than just 4%?
    I was wondering what the effect of pure silver cable, pure silver plug and a little bit of silver for the connection was in compared to a different material plug was, for example.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    Did you try a higher percentage content silver solder, rather than just 4%?
    I was wondering what the effect of pure silver cable, pure silver plug and a little bit of silver for the connection was in compared to a different material plug was, for example.
    I did use 9% silver on some WBT plugs for an order. Unfortunately I don't have subjective results as I haven't made any pairs like them again.

The issue with silver solder, especially at 9%, is how much heat you have to use to get a proper, nice connection. Using it with KLE, MS Audios or AECOs will cause a novice to melt the plastic mould of the RCA.

WITH WBT it's not an issue as they are metal construction, however I would never recommend WBT over KLE either.

4% silver solder is on everything I make. I just think it's better sonically than tin/lead stuff. Might be nonsense but that's life lol

In regard to using different metals, well, everything has an effect. I use pure copper cable, silver plated copper RCAs and silver solder. I felt that all silver was too lean. I felt that's silver plated cables were etched and shrill at times, I found that copper cables with silver RCAs were probably ad good, if not a little clearer in the HF than silver-plated copper plugs were.

I've used bare copper plugs, which sounded like old valve amps, I've used gold plated plugs which sounded bereft or 'air' or space.

The right combo can only be found by the experimenter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast