+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest Check - Sheffield Bake-Off

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The irony of being the first to drop out
    IF a firm date had been set from the beginning then I wouldn't have put my name down as my sister is coming to the UK for the first time in 25 years and will be with us that weekend, I have known this for months (even before this BO was first mooted)

as a range of dates was offered I was clear on the spreadsheet that I couldn't make one date, so I say that I am NOT, repeat NOT, "dropping out" so I call foul on criticising me - or perhaps you have pearls of wisdom on how else I could approach this earlier?

I haven't dropped out of any BOs in many years and the only one perhaps 5 years ago I had a very heavy cold and thought it courteous to not share with others! However, a sarcastic type I see, but in the trade, so no surprise there IMHO
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maverick2000 View Post
    IF a firm date had been set from the beginning then I wouldn't have put my name down as my sister is coming to the UK for the first time in 25 years and will be with us that weekend, I have known this for months (even before this BO was first mooted)

as a range of dates was offered I was clear on the spreadsheet that I couldn't make one date, so I say that I am NOT, repeat NOT, "dropping out" so I call foul on criticising me - or perhaps you have pearls of wisdom on how else I could approach this earlier?

I haven't dropped out of any BOs in many years and the only one perhaps 5 years ago I had a very heavy cold and thought it courteous to not share with others! However, a sarcastic type I see, but in the trade, so no surprise there IMHO
    I'm not criticising, I was merely pointing out the irony based on our previous interaction where you flaunted you vastly greater experience of bake off attendance and likelihood of attendee numbers.

It was light hearted old boy, not criticism.

Don't take yourself so seriously. I thought it was very funny

I'm Paul.

I'm not criticising, I was merely pointing out the irony based on our previous interaction where you flaunted you vastly greater experience of bake off attendance and likelihood of attendee numbers.

It was light hearted old boy, not criticism.

Don't take yourself so seriously. I thought it was very funny
    only responding to line that at least 25% drop out and that shows like Scalford are much less risky to put on (I paraphrase)

anyone who knows me can attest that I do anything but take myself seriously and if I ask for a place then I attend. Why it's so amusing that I can't attend on one of 3 dates suggested weeks ago I am lost to understand, actually I was gutted but am democratic. As I say please would YOU explain what you think I COULD have done otherwise than be open and honest upfront, if I had flounced at the one date I couldn't make being chosen you'd have a point, I didn't
    But I did wish all good luck/fun (read my post)

As I said in the trade so my experience of such is yet again confirmed, over the years I have had some really horrible dealings, which to somebody as polite and honest as me leaves me bemused.
    But our hobby does seem to attract them, or maybe it's me where my approach makes me look like a soft touch.
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

Bigman80 Guest

only responding to line that at least 25% drop out and that shows like Scalford are much less risky to put on (I paraphrase)

anyone who knows me can attest that I do anything but take myself seriously and if I ask for a place then I attend. Why it's so amusing that I can't attend on one of 3 dates suggested weeks ago I am lost to understand, actually I was gutted but am democratic. As I say please would YOU explain what you think I COULD have done otherwise than be open and honest upfront, if I had flounced at the one date I couldn't make being chosen you'd have a point, I didn't
    But I did wish all good luck/fun (read my post)

As I said in the trade so my experience of such is yet again confirmed, over the years I have had some really horrible dealings, which to somebody as polite and honest as me leaves me bemused.
    But our hobby does seem to attract them, or maybe it's me where my approach makes me look like a soft touch.
    Paul,

If I were you, I'd have a nice cup of tea and relax.

It was humorus to me that you poo pood my statement about 25% dropping out then you're the first one to drop out. Not that you can't attend. Why would I be pleased about that or find that funny? I don't know what you could do differently and regardless of your reliability elsewhere, you flaunted your magnitude of experience and took a sarcastic pot shot at me. Now it's smacked you on the arse, you don't like it.

As for all the "trade" nonsense, I'm not in the trade at all, I am a trader here because I make and sell cables and the odd phonostage. I don't make a living out of it and do not class myself as a trader at all. It was a necessity to take that title here due to Marcos request.

You can call me what you like, but you started out with the sarcasm, so if you don't like it when it smacks your arse, don't dish it out.

Anyway, as I said, it was light hearted.

Seems to have hit a nerve though.

I'm Paul.

don't drink the stuff

I thought that the comment that shows are easier / less risk that bake-offs an interesting view.
    I have organised massive events over 6 years (not hifi) where due to being outdoors there is a very high risk of financial loss so I would never say any shows are easy, nor less risk. I delayed one with 5 days to go, snowdrifts were 6 foot on the planned day (April). Phew.

I am still waiting on your advice on what I could have done differently? To date, nothing has smacked my a*** as I have been consistent.

If you want to make an offer to Marco to run the AoS show, I'd bury the hatchet and offer to help. Seriously, I am quite good at that stuff.
    cheers Paul

My main system:

I'm Martin.

don't drink the stuff

I thought that the comment that shows are easier / less risk that bake-offs an interesting view.
    I have organised massive events over 6 years (not hifi) where due to being outdoors there is a very high risk of financial loss so I would never say any shows are easy, nor less risk. I delayed one with 5 days to go, snowdrifts were 6 foot on the planned day (April). Phew.

I am still waiting on your advice on what I could have done differently? To date, nothing has smacked my a*** as I have been consistent.

If you want to make an offer to Marco to run the AoS show, I'd bury the hatchet and offer to help. Seriously, I am quite good at that stuff.
    We did do a big AoS bake off back in November 2016 https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...s-and-Comments and more people turned up then said they would. About 50% more. We'd have done it again but the venue - which was massively suitable (car park, beer, food and accommodation on site) closed down soon afterwards.

Putting a show on like Wigwam have is a massively bigger undertaking plus you have to charge people to get in and hope you don't make a huge loss. Even so the main drawback to doing something like that is finding somewhere suitable where they don't want stupid money for renting it. Also Wigwam have been doing it every year since about 2010 and arguably there isn't enough demand for two of them a year. If they stop then I'll look at it again and if so your experience and assistance would be invaluable and much appreciated.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

don't drink the stuff

You were sarcastic about my comment in regard to folk dropping out, siting your absolutely vast experience.

You are the first to drop out, proving my point that people will drop out. I have laughed at the irony that your comment has smacked your arse.

It's very simple to follow and understand.

AFAIC there is no hatchet to bury, or any need to continue banging on about your experience. It was just very funny that you dropped out first, when you suggesting I was talking out of my arse.

Anyway, I won't be organising an AoS event anytime soon due to the lack of interest I have in doing so. Feel free to crack on with one.

Should we not let the thread get back on track? If you'd like to discuss it further, drop me a PM and we can explore how your attitude (in that message) came back to bite you on the arse in private.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We did do a big AoS bake off back in November 2016 https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...s-and-Comments and more people turned up then said they would. About 50% more. We'd have done it again but the venue - which was massively suitable (car park, beer, food and accommodation on site) closed down soon afterwards.

Putting a show on like Wigwam have is a massively bigger undertaking plus you have to charge people to get in and hope you don't make a huge loss. Even so the main drawback to doing something like that is finding somewhere suitable where they don't want stupid money for renting it. Also Wigwam have been doing it every year since about 2010 and arguably there isn't enough demand for two of them a year. If they stop then I'll look at it again and if so your experience and assistance would be invaluable and much appreciated.
    the offer was real
    if the wam show had been at Scalford the 1st year it went to Kegworth then due to the area being remote and well deep in snowdrifts that I think would have killed it

my guess (it is only thus) is that finding a venue that would allow us to do what we do is far from easy, there is a view that only those venues financially struggling would agree because they are desperate for the income (look at Scalford Hall's troubled history), As a former CFO I can smell cash troubles a mile off.
    cheers Paul

My main system:

I'm Paul.

Ywhen you suggesting I was talking out of my arse.
    you may have not noticed that I feel no need to resort to profanity

agree, thread back on track, I really hope it's a great event as I'd be interested in a repeat when it happens but will just lurk until a date is set to avoid this

EOM
    cheers Paul

My main system:

Bigman80 Guest

you may have not noticed that I feel no need to resort to profanity

agree, thread back on track, I really hope it's a great event as I'd be interested in a repeat when it happens but will just lurk until a date is set to avoid this

EOM
    'Arse' is bare-ly profanity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast