+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Given that I am completely happy with the sound of the Spendors with the Prima Luna pre/power I now feel as though I am getting the very best I can from my current system. This sub sounds bloody wonderful on most of my electronic music where it adds punch and weight, it also sounds bloody good on the music of George Micheal. Maybe I should try it on some Michael Buble...?

George Michael made some brilliant recordings with quite a lot going on in the bass. One particular song, Spinning The Wheel, has a bassline that small speakers may hint at but will never get, not without a sub. I'd rather not have a whole instrument missing from the music, so for me using a sub with small speakers is a no brainer.

Of course when it comes to bass quality, you probably don't get owt for nowt, so pursuing them low frequencies can be a whole new world of financial pain (used purchases notwithstanding).
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

I seriously have to agree with your comment about having an entire instrument missing from the mix. In terms of what we listen to on a regular basis which is electronica, it really was pissing me off that maybe the two lowest octaves of sound were completely absent. Referring to George Michael's Older album, that particular track does indeed have some sub bass frequencies that go really low and even years back when using Castle Harlech's they couldn't reproduce the lowest notes of that track. Moving to now though, the Yamaha sub easily reproduces them and we still get to keep our killer midrange that the Spendor's show off so well.

This subwoofer thing took me two weeks of buggering about procrastinating before I decided to risk a few hundred quid. I still cannot really believe that it has been such and easy fix. Last night we sat and listened to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories CD and every now and then I get the impression that maybe the sub is not doing enough and that I can't hear it. It's only when I turn down the volume of the sub that it becomes blatantly obvious just what it is adding to the music.

With that in mind I am really pleased it has turned out the way it has for an outlay of just over £250.

If anyone out there has bass issues I can only suggest you give it a try. You never know.

I'm Dennis.

Over the last decade or so a view has been formed that a sub not only gives the missing bass, but also improves imaging.
    I cannot see how that would work but it is worth thinking about.

I'm Shaun.

Dennis, a very interesting comment you made there. I am also of the opinion that the imaging has improved considerably as has low level information however, we have only had these Spendors since March 1st of this year so it is possible they are still running in. They seem to have changed their perspective on the sound over the last week or so. Very odd.

I'm Martin.

Supposedly there are spacial cues in the lower bass sounds so maybe not that surprising. I've found that systems with deep clean bass invariably do a better 3D image. Of course that could be coincidence.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Over the last decade or so a view has been formed that a sub not only gives the missing bass, but also improves imaging.
    I cannot see how that would work but it is worth thinking about.
    Some say the same about supertweeters.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Supposedly there are spacial cues in the lower bass sounds so maybe not that surprising. I've found that systems with deep clean bass invariably do a better 3D image. Of course that could be coincidence.
    My experience is very similar. When listening to systems with full range speakers going down to about 25hz I find the bass backdrop allows the ears to hear 3D imaging better and top end detail is easy to pinpoint. Vocals and Instruments take on more body and become more realistic. Scale is so important in a system and without low bass scale in not achievable.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Got to agree regarding scale, the whole sound is way more grand and expressive.

I'm steve.

Best thing you can do with a downward firing sub is to sit it on top of a piece of granite like a large kitchen chopping surface, cost £5-£10 and makes a hell of a difference to having the sub on a carpeted wooden floor, worked a treat with the BK Gemini 2 I used to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

With different speakers I used a leema 10" subwoofer in my listening room 7' X 9' with a vaulted ceiling and suspended wood floor with carpet tiles, it's all a matter of control. I now use it in my first floor office( small bedroom ) and it works a treat. The problems some have are probably self inflicted.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast