+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A 6FT Hi-Fi Rack Without Breaking The Bank?

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-5-T...EAAOSw9CtdJwS0

I nearly bought one of these a while back. You can attach it to the wall for stability and put the smaller bits of kit on the higher shelves with plenty of room below for the big boys
    Load capacity of each tier is only 5kg. How long would a big Krell amp last on one of those
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Geoff.

If using threaded rod, the look can be enhanced by sliding cut sections of chrome or black steel tube over it. Available from places like B&Q.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I have got a substantial number of the original Sound Factory/Sound Advice Tripod modules.
    These would easily make up almost any height you heart desires
    I you send me a PM with your email I can send you a copy of the brochure
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Dennis.

Mike's suggestion is of course a very good solution, but you need access to the wall, I recommended it to my father and he used it, and very good for turntables it is.

I'm Geoff.

I have two of these Ikea units but mine are the narrower units which cost £45.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/fjaellb...lack-70339291/

I can strongly recommend this design. The frame is steel with reinforcing brackets on the corners. This makes the unit extremely rigid. The wooden shelves are well made and give a feel of quality. From your posting this double unit may meet you needs at a very low cost.

Geoff

I haven't tried it, but the shelf spacing may be sufficient to accommodate a turntable though personally I would not go down that route.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 13-08-2019 at 12:26.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-5-T...EAAOSw9CtdJwS0

I nearly bought one of these a while back. You can attach it to the wall for stability and put the smaller bits of kit on the higher shelves with plenty of room below for the big boys
    Yes you see a lot of general shelving units like this but it doesnt look strong enough IMO. A lot of the shelving that isnt specifically for hi fi just looks as though it could barely hold the weight of a few books and ornaments.

Have you felt the weight of a PM7200? I bet a lot of you just have dacs and headphone amps on your shelves

I might see if two identical five shelf racks will bolt together.

eight shelves quite close together would do it. I dont know...its going to cost to do this right. I may have to build a unit covering a whole wall..solid wall storage is probably the way for me to go.

It has to look good. I always thought those Target turntable shelves looked damn ugly. I like the new wood designs but by god they are expensive.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 13-08-2019 at 12:53.
    " Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    I have got a substantial number of the original Sound Factory/Sound Advice Tripod modules.
    These would easily make up almost any height you heart desires
    I you send me a PM with your email I can send you a copy of the brochure
    Yes Ive seen this sort of thing but How much are they? Say I was stacking eight of those its going to add up. Probably my idea of what Im doing wont match the cost of those...I dont know yet.

Im going to have to spend either way...I need more floor space

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

I'm mark.

I collected a stack of Atacama Equinox a while ago, but it seems less popular and still quite expensive. Pretty substantial and up to the job though.

I'm Martin.

I am thinking now of the Alphason, Stands Unique, Sound Style or newer Apollo racks bolted together. I will have to look into the contruction and if that have removable top caps on the tubular kegs. One Sound style rack does so that sort of tubular leg design with the plastic top caps revealing a thread

If they have the tube design going through shelves I should be able to combine two of them.

The problem with my current Target Racks is they are a fixed welded frame.

The modular spike stack shelves would be ideal but I dont think I can afford that many shelves

I'm Mike.

You don't want it against a wall. You're handy with DIY. You don't have much lateral space but oodles of height. You've got a lot of kit. Hmmmmm!

How much lateral width and depth can you accommodate? I built a three shelf (18mm ply), stained & polished) unit affixed to a side wall but 18/20" away from the back wall. Each shelf is supported underneath by a batten and damped by rubber fillets. It holds 2x valved mono's (heavy !), CDP, DAC, 2 x P/Ss, tuner and valved pre. There's still space for another box or two, but the overall width is 4' & height 41" to top shelf.

Turntable is on a separate h/d Target table, but if you have the depth and width, it's not impossible to incorporate wider ply shelves at, say, second or third shelf level with adequate vertical ply side pieces/supports.

Personally I'd never have a t/t on the same surface as electronics and instead of 2 x turntables, get one which takes multiple arms.

If any inkling is derived from the above, it'll be worth the writing of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast